Rock thrown from cliff, find initial and final velocities

In summary: I was stuck on this question for hours. In summary, your workbook is incorrect and the parentheses are missing.
kitkat87

Homework Statement

I'm taking grade 12 U physics and I'm having a really difficult time understanding the answers given compared to the answers I arrive at.

For example:

The question reads:

A rock was thrown horizontally from a 25.0 m high cliff and landed 15.0 m from the base of the cliff. Determine the initial speed with which the rock was thrown, as well as its final velocity.

2. The attempt at a solution

Vertical
V1y = 0.0 m/s
ay=9.8 m/s^2
Displacement = 25 m

Solve for y-component

25m = (0.0 m/s)(change in time) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(change in time)^2

Rearrange

(change in time)^2 = 2(25)/9.8m/s^2
change in time = Sqrt 2(25) / 9.8m/s^2
change in time = 0.7215375318230077

This is the answer I arrived at.

My workbook however, says the answer is 2.26. Can someone please explain to me how my workbook arrived that that answer? I cannot move on in the question until I solve this.

So far every example in my course provides the correct calculations but all of the final answers are completely incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did order of operations wrong. Work it out again from the first line and keep your parentheses.

kitkat87 said:

Homework Statement

The question reads:

A rock was thrown horizontally from a 25.0 m high cliff and landed 15.0 m from the base of the cliff. Determine the initial speed with which the rock was thrown, as well as its final velocity.

2. The attempt at a solution

Vertical
V1y = 0.0 m/s
ay=9.8 m/s^2
Displacement = 25 m

Solve for y-component

25m = (0.0 m/s)(change in time) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(change in time)^2

Rearrange

(change in time)^2 = 2(25)/9.8m/s^2
change in time = Sqrt 2(25) / 9.8m/s^2
change in time = 0.7215375318230077

Welcome to PF!
You miss parentheses. (change in time)^2 = 2*25/9.8 = 5.102. Take the square root to get the time : The correct formula is (change in time) = Sqrt ((2*25) / 9.8)
You took the square root of 50 and divided it by 9.8, which is wrong.

ehild

Thank you both so much! you're amaz-o

My entire workbook leaves the 9.8m/s^2 throughout all of the examples so I thought that it stayed that way.

You've just made my life so much easier.

I can understand your frustration with the discrepancies between your calculations and the answers provided in your workbook. It is important to remember that in physics, there can be multiple ways to arrive at the correct answer and sometimes there may be slight variations in the final values due to rounding or different methods used.

In this specific problem, it appears that your workbook may be using a different approach to solving for the initial and final velocities. It is possible that they are using equations for projectile motion or conservation of energy to solve for these values. Without seeing the specific equations and calculations used in your workbook, it is difficult for me to explain how they arrived at the answer of 2.26.

However, the important thing to remember is that as long as your calculations are accurate and your approach is correct, your answer of 0.7215375318230077 is also a valid solution. I encourage you to discuss this with your teacher or classmates to understand the different methods used and how they can lead to slightly different answers.

In science, it is important to focus on the process and understanding the concepts rather than just getting the "right" answer. Keep up the good work and continue to question and seek understanding in your studies. Good luck!

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a rock thrown from a cliff?

To calculate the initial velocity of a rock thrown from a cliff, you will need to know the height of the cliff and the time it takes for the rock to reach the ground. You can use the formula v0 = g * t, where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. Can I use the same formula to calculate the final velocity?

Yes, you can use the same formula (vf = v0 + g * t) to calculate the final velocity of the rock. However, in this case, v0 would be the initial velocity and vf would be the final velocity.

3. Do I need to consider air resistance when calculating the initial and final velocities?

In a simplified scenario, air resistance can be ignored when calculating the initial and final velocities of a rock thrown from a cliff. However, if you want a more accurate calculation, you can take into account the effects of air resistance.

4. How does the angle of the throw affect the initial and final velocities?

The angle of the throw can affect the initial and final velocities of the rock. If the rock is thrown at an angle other than 90 degrees, the initial velocity will have both horizontal and vertical components. The final velocity will also have both horizontal and vertical components, depending on the angle at which the rock hits the ground.

5. Can I use this formula for any object thrown from a cliff?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object thrown from a cliff, as long as you have the necessary information (height of the cliff and time of flight). However, if the object is not a point mass (i.e. it has a shape and size), the formula may need to be modified to account for rotational motion.