Rocket accelerating thru a dust cloud

In summary: Yes, that looks like the right approach. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the backslash \ character is used to start a new line in latex. I'm not very good with latex, so I'm probably not the best source for help there...In summary, a rocket of mass M is flying through a dust cloud with density P. The rocket's cross section is A and each dusticle it collides with becomes permanently attached. The rocket is ejecting material at the same rate as it assimilates it, with a speed relative to the rocket of V_g. The acceleration of the rocket as a function of its speed V can be found using the equation {{(V -
Gregie666
hi...
a rocket of mass M is flying through a dust cloud the cloud has a density of P. the rocket's cross section is A. every dusticle the rocket colides with becomes permenantly attached.
the rocket is ejecting material (as a propellant) at the same rate that it assimilates it. the speed of the ejection relative to the rocket is
[tex]V_g [/tex]
find the rockets acceleration as a function of its speed V

Homework Equations

[tex]
F = M{{dv} \over {dt}} + (u - v){{dm} \over {dt}}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i'v found dm, i think:
[tex]
dm = APdx = APVdt

[/tex]

so presumably, to find
the acceleration i did this:
[tex]
\eqalign
& dV = adt - V_0 = V_1 - V_0 \cr
[/tex]
[tex] & - V_0 dm = - V_g dm + MV_1 \cr[/tex]
but now I am totally stuck...
any help? please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gregie666 said:
hi...
a rocket of mass M is flying through a dust cloud the cloud has a density of P. the rocket's cross section is A. every dusticle the rocket colides with becomes permenantly attached.
the rocket is ejecting material (as a propellant) at the same rate that it assimilates it. the speed of the ejection relative to the rocket is
[tex]V_g [/tex]
find the rockets acceleration as a function of its speed V

Homework Equations

[tex]
F = M{{dv} \over {dt}} + (u - v){{dm} \over {dt}}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i'v found dm, i think:
[tex]
dm = APdx = APVdt

[/tex]

so presumably, to find
the acceleration i did this:
[tex]
\eqalign
& dV = adt - V_0 = V_1 - V_0 \cr
[/tex]
[tex] & - V_0 dm = - V_g dm + MV_1 \cr[/tex]
but now I am totally stuck...
any help? please?

This does not look right

[tex]
dV = adt - V_0 = V_1 - V_0 \cr
[/tex]

The definition of acceleration is just a = dV/dt

Since the mass of the rocket is not changing, you can treat the collision//expulsion of a mass dm using conservation of momentum. It does not matter that the gas expelled is not the same piece of matter as the dm that is captured. Think of a head-on collision between two objects of mass M and dm with M moving at an initial velocity V and dm at rest. The final velocity of dm is known in terms of V and the relative exhaust velocity. Solve for the final velocity of M and find the rate of change of velocity dV/dt. This will look a lot like your force equation, but I don't think you have that equation quite right. Maybe it's just a matter of interpretation. What force are you representing by that equation?

ok.. i think you are right. so using conservation of momentum i can approach it like this:
in an infinitesimally small ammonut of time, the following equation holds true:

[tex] VM = (V + dV)M + (V - V_g )dm [/tex]
[tex]VM = (V + dV)M + (V - V_g )APdx [/tex]
[tex] VM = VM + Mdv + (V - V_g )APdx [/tex]
[tex]{{(V - V_g )APdx} \over {dt}} = M{{dv} \over {dt}} [/tex]
[tex] {{(V - V_g )APV} \over M} = a [/tex]

p.s. how do i make a newline in tex?? \newline doesn't seem to work

Last edited:

1. How does a rocket accelerate through a dust cloud?

When a rocket enters a dust cloud, it experiences drag forces on its surface due to collisions with the dust particles. This drag force slows down the rocket, causing it to accelerate at a slower rate. However, as the rocket continues to move through the dust cloud, it also ejects the dust particles behind it, creating a thrust force that propels the rocket forward. This thrust force counteracts the drag force, allowing the rocket to continue accelerating through the dust cloud.

2. What happens to the dust particles when a rocket passes through a dust cloud?

The dust particles in a dust cloud are much smaller and lighter than the rocket, so they are easily pushed aside by the rocket's powerful engines. As the rocket moves through the cloud, it creates a shockwave that pushes the dust particles away from its path. Some particles may also get caught in the rocket's exhaust and be carried along with it.

3. Can a rocket be damaged by passing through a dust cloud?

It is unlikely for a rocket to sustain significant damage from passing through a dust cloud. The materials used to construct rockets are designed to withstand extreme temperatures and forces, including collisions with small debris. However, if the dust cloud is particularly dense, there is a possibility that some minor damage may occur.

4. How do scientists study the effects of dust clouds on rockets?

Scientists use various methods to study the effects of dust clouds on rockets. One method is through computer simulations, where they can model the behavior of a rocket passing through a dust cloud. Another method is through physical experiments using scaled models in wind tunnels. Scientists also study the composition and density of dust clouds to better understand their potential impact on rockets.

5. Are there any special precautions that need to be taken when launching a rocket through a dust cloud?

Yes, there are some precautions that should be taken when launching a rocket through a dust cloud. The rocket's trajectory and speed may need to be adjusted to minimize the impact of the dust particles. Additionally, the rocket's exterior may need to be reinforced or coated with a protective material to prevent any potential damage. Scientists also closely monitor the conditions and characteristics of the dust cloud before launching to ensure the safety of the rocket and its payload.