How do you solve the problem of a rocket with variable mass?

In summary: And their wheelchairs have a lot more mass than rockets do.In summary, the exhaust gases expelled from the tail of a rocket propel it forward by the principle of conservation of momentum. As the rocket expends its fuel, its mass decreases and it accelerates. To reach the escape velocity of the Earth, the ratio of the weight of the fuel to the weight of the rocket must be almost 300. However, the given figure of 2.1 m/s for the exhaust gas velocity is likely incorrect, as rockets typically have velocities of several kilometers per second. This leads to a much larger ratio of fuel weight to rocket weight.
Sudo

Homework Statement

Rockets are propelled by the momentum of the exhaust gases expelled from the tail. Since these gases arise from the reaction of the fuels carried in the rocket, the mass of the rocket is not constant, but decreases as the fuel is expended. Show that for a Rocket starting initially from rest, and taking the velocity of the exhaust gases relative to the rocket, ##v'## = 2.1 m/s and a rate of mass loss per second L = 1/60 of the initial mass, to reach the escape velocity of the Earth (##v_e## = 11.2 km/s), the ratio of the weight of the fuel to the weight of the rocket must be almost 300!

Homework Equations

I know that ##F=m(\frac {dp} {dt})=ma=m\frac {dv} {dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I work in the frame of the rocket; so we have two forces, the weight ##W=mg## and the force of the exhaust exiting the rocket ##\frac {dm} {dt}v'##. Both forces are pointing downward, thus I set up the following equation: $$ma=m\frac {dv} {dt}=-v'(\frac {dm} {dt})-mg$$ Now I rewrite ##m\frac {dv} {dt}## as ##m\frac {dv} {dm}\frac {dm} {dt}##; now I have this expression:$$m\frac {dv} {dm}\frac {dm} {dt}=-v'(\frac {dm} {dt})-mg$$As ##\frac {dm} {dt}=L=-\frac {m_0} {60}## and dividing both sides by ##m## we have:$$\frac {dv} {dm}(-\frac {m_0} {60})=-\frac {v'} {m}(-\frac {m_0} {60})-g$$Dividing both sides by ##L## yields:$$\frac {dv} {dm}=-\frac {v'} {m}+\frac {60g} {m_0}$$Now we're ready to write our differential equation as follows:$$dv=-\frac {v'} {m}~dm+\frac {60g} {m_0}~dm$$We can now integrate, this knowing that we start from ##v_0=0## and from a certain initial mass given by ##m_0=m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}## and a final mass ##m_f=m_{rocket}##$$\int_0^v dv=-v'\int_{m_0}^{m_f} \frac {1} {m} \ dm+\frac {60g} {m_0}\int_{m_0}^{m_f} dm$$After integrating and evaluating I get the following expression:$$v=-v'ln(\frac {m_f} {m_0})+\frac {60g} {m_0}(m_f-m_0)$$This can be rewritten as:$$v=-v'ln(\frac {m_{rocket}} {m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}})-\frac {60g} {m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}}(m_{fuel})$$Then, if ##m_{fuel}>>m_{rocket}## we can ignore the term ##m_{rocket}## in ##\frac {1} {m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}}##, and the expression can be rewritten as:$$v=-v'ln(\frac {m_{rocket}} {m_{fuel}})-60g=v'ln(\frac {m_{fuel}} {m_{rocket}})-60g$$Solving for the desired ratio I get:$$\frac {m_{fuel}} {m_{rocket}}=e^{\frac {v+60g} {v'}}$$However when plugging in the equation the values ##v'=2.1 m/s##, ##v=11.2 km/s##, and ##g## the value is much, much bigger than 300.

What did I did wrong? Did I chooses the incorrect frame? To my understanding my equation ##ma=m\frac {dv} {dt}=-v'(\frac {dm} {dt})-mg## should be true for this frame, thus ##v'## indeed is 2.1 m/s

Thank you for your time! As always I appreciate detailed answers, thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
As soon as I read the problem, the figure of 2.1 m/s for the gas velocity struck me as ridiculously low. Rockets accelerate really fast, so the velocity of the gases they emit must be several times faster than that. I suspect the figure is supposed to be 2.1 km/s.

A quick check with wiki seems to corroborate this. This article says the exhaust gases travel at hypersonic velocities, which apparently means velocities of Mach 5 and above. 2.1 km/s is about Mach 7.

2.1m/s is a slow walk, which is not going to send a big cylinder of metal anywhere!

EDIT: I forgot to put the link to the article on rocket engines. I've put it in now.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
As soon as I read the problem, the figure of 2.1 m/s for the gas velocity struck me as ridiculously low. Rockets accelerate really fast, so the velocity of the gases they emit must be several times faster than that. I suspect the figure is supposed to be 2.1 km/s.

A quick check with wiki seems to corroborate this. This article says the exhaust gases travel at hypersonic velocities, which apparently means velocities of Mach 5 and above. 2.1 km/s is about Mach 7.

2.1m/s is a slow walk, which is not going to send a big cylinder of metal anywhere!
Do you think that, even when considering that ##v'## is relative to the rocket (i.e., measured by someone in the rocket, not an observer on ground), 2.1 m/s would still, anyway, be too small?

Thanks for the reply!

Sudo said:
Do you think that, even when considering that v' is relative to the rocket
Yes, and that co-moving frame of the rocket is the natural one to use. Note that that is the same as the Launchpad frame when the countdown hits zero.

2.1 m/s is a waft, not a rocket blast. It would be overstating it to call it a gentle breeze.

Sudo said:
Do you think that, even when considering that ##v'## is relative to the rocket (i.e., measured by someone in the rocket, not an observer on ground), 2.1 m/s would still, anyway, be too small?

Thanks for the reply!

Around where I now live there a lot of elderly people who zip along in their motorized wheelchairs faster than 2.1 m/s.

Last edited:

1. How does variable mass affect a rocket's trajectory?

Variable mass can have a significant impact on a rocket's trajectory. As the mass of the rocket changes, either by burning fuel or releasing payloads, the rocket's acceleration and velocity will also change. This can cause the rocket to deviate from its intended path and potentially affect its ability to reach its destination.

2. What methods can be used to account for variable mass in rocket design?

There are several methods that can be used to account for variable mass in rocket design. One approach is to use a control system that can adjust the thrust of the rocket's engines to compensate for changes in mass. Another method is to carefully calculate the amount of fuel needed for a specific mission and design the rocket accordingly. Additionally, rockets can be designed with stages that can be discarded as they burn through their fuel, reducing the rocket's overall mass.

3. How do scientists and engineers predict the effects of variable mass on a rocket?

Scientists and engineers use mathematical models and simulations to predict the effects of variable mass on a rocket. These models take into account factors such as the rocket's mass, thrust, and drag, as well as the changing mass as fuel is burned and payloads are released. By running simulations and analyzing the data, scientists and engineers can make predictions about a rocket's performance with variable mass.

4. What challenges does variable mass present in rocket launches?

Variable mass presents several challenges in rocket launches. One major challenge is ensuring that the rocket's trajectory remains stable and on course despite changes in mass. This requires careful calculations and adjustments to the rocket's control systems. Another challenge is ensuring that the rocket has enough fuel to complete its mission, while also accounting for the changing mass as fuel is burned.

5. How do scientists and engineers overcome the problem of variable mass in rocket launches?

To overcome the problem of variable mass in rocket launches, scientists and engineers use a combination of careful planning, advanced mathematical models, and precise control systems. They also conduct extensive testing and analysis to ensure that the rocket can handle changes in mass and maintain its intended trajectory. Additionally, continued research and advancements in rocket technology can help to mitigate the effects of variable mass on rocket launches.