1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Rocket equation'(Physics by example, Rees, pr. 16)

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    attachment.php?attachmentid=43673&stc=1&d=1328744018.jpg

Questions:
    1. How can one tell that at time t+dt the velocity of the rocket is an infinitesimal quantity and the velocity of the ejected product a real quantity?
    2. Why is for the mass of the rocket not simply written m-dm and why for the mass of the ejected product not written (+)dm?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    The rocket starts from rest at time = t. If dt is small enough then the rocket has gained little velocity at time t + dt.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say,

"...the velocity of the ejected product a real quantity?"

You write,

"Why is for the mass of the rocket not simply written m-dm and why for the mass of the ejected product not written (+)dm?"

That would have made more sense to me as well, but it still works out.

4. Feb 10, 2012 #3
    Hi Spinnor,
    In the solution, the velocity of the product is denoted with vr. So they are saying that the velocity is a real quantity (consists of a real number) as opposed to an infinitesimal quantity (like dv, a hyperreal number).

Ok, I think I understand this now.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook