1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller coaster free body diagrams

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    so im a 8th grader and i got a homework asignment to draw free body diagrams of a roller coaster on inclines, straight aways and bottom of the hill. we didnt learn about physics yet so heres the question

- draw and label free body diagrams for the coaster car on inclines, staright aways and bottom of the hill. dont focuz on the coaster car, but the people riding the car.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i researched about free body diagrams and roller coasters. all i have now for the straight away is , f-gravity, f-normal, f - applied, and f- friction

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Other than when the coaster ( and passengers) are being pulled up the incline by a chain mechanism or other means, there is no applied force; otherwise you have correctly identified the other forces acting for the straightway. These are the same type of forces which act when the coaster or passsengers are at the bottom, or on an incline. What are the direction of these forces?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?