Potential Mistake in Free-Body Diagram

TRB8985
Homework Statement
No homework statement; conceptual question only.
Relevant Equations
W = mg
I had a question on the way I've set up my free-body diagrams in the past and was wondering if I've been making mistakes in the setup (despite arriving at the correct answer).

Imagine a very simple situation of stacked blocks, like the the following:

scenario.png

When drawing the free-body diagram of such a situation, previously I was combining the forces of the weights and the normal force acting on B, like this:

FBD.png

Here's my question: Is this equivalent to the "standard" way of drawing an FBD for this scenario as seen below?

FBD2.png

My concern is that, while I was achieving the correct answer, I was being lazy in the setup/notation. Would appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TRB8985 said:
Homework Statement: No homework statement; conceptual question only.
Relevant Equations: W = mg

I had a question on the way I've set up my free-body diagrams in the past and was wondering if I've been making mistakes in the setup (despite arriving at the correct answer).

Imagine a very simple situation of stacked blocks, like the the following:

View attachment 338891

When drawing the free-body diagram of such a situation, previously I was combining the forces of the weights and the normal force acting on B, like this:

View attachment 338892

Here's my question: Is this equivalent to the "standard" way of drawing an FBD for this scenario as seen below?

View attachment 338893

My concern is that, while I was achieving the correct answer, I was being lazy in the setup/notation. Would appreciate any feedback, thanks!
If you take ##N_{A+B}##, and ##W_{A+B}## the you haven’t actually “freed” block B from block A. They are a taken together as a single system. The diagram does not accurately represent the isolated system(s) you actually chose.

Likes hutchphd and jbriggs444
Makes total sense and verifies my suspicion of being incorrect, thank you! Will avoid doing it that way in the future.

Likes erobz
You might get away with it while problems are less demanding, but the inconsistency will likely cause you grief down the road if you didn’t address it. Good job for doing so.

Likes hutchphd
Hi @TRB8985. I'd like to add this.

Assuming equilibrium (no acceleration, e.g. B resting on the ground)) then perhaps it’s worth noting the following:

For a FBD of A&B considered as a single object, we ignore internal forces. So there would be just two FBD forces: the total weight and the normal force from the ground.

For A considered alone, there are two FBD forces: its weight and the normal force of B on A.

For B considered alone, there are three FBD forces: its weight, the normal force of A on B and the normal force from the ground.

My personal preferences are to draw:
- each weight-arrow starting from the centre of gravity (approx);
- each contact force-arrow starting or ending on on the appropriate surface;
- each arrow’s length corresponding to the magnitude of the force (approx., if known);
- non-overlapping arrows.

For example my FBD for block B would be:
fbd.jpg

Edit. My diagram is not the best. The arrow for ##F_{ground~on~B}## is too short; its length should be the sum of the lengths of the 2 other arrows. And the weight arrow should start nearer B's centre (assuming B is uniform).

Last edited:
Likes Delta2, Lnewqban, SammyS and 2 others
No worries, I understand exactly what you're trying to convey there. I had difficulty drawing them in the post LaTeX too - thankfully Powerpoint and screenshots worked nicely!

Thank you for the insight on that, appreciated.

Likes Steve4Physics

1. How can I identify a potential mistake in a free-body diagram?

A potential mistake in a free-body diagram can be identified by checking if all the forces acting on the object are correctly represented and if they are in the correct direction. Additionally, make sure that the forces are labeled accurately and that all external forces are included in the diagram.

2. What are common errors to look out for in a free-body diagram?

Common errors in a free-body diagram include missing forces, incorrectly labeled forces, forces acting in the wrong direction, and omitting external forces. It is important to carefully analyze the diagram to ensure that all forces are accurately represented.

3. How can I prevent making mistakes in a free-body diagram?

To prevent making mistakes in a free-body diagram, double-check each force that is included in the diagram and ensure that they are accurately labeled and represented. It is also helpful to practice creating free-body diagrams regularly to improve your skills in identifying and representing forces correctly.

4. What are the consequences of having a mistake in a free-body diagram?

Having a mistake in a free-body diagram can lead to incorrect calculations and analysis of the forces acting on an object. This can result in inaccurate predictions of motion or equilibrium of the object, which can impact the overall understanding of the physical system being studied.

5. How can I correct a mistake in a free-body diagram?

If a mistake is identified in a free-body diagram, it is important to carefully review the diagram and make corrections to accurately represent all forces acting on the object. This may involve adjusting the direction or magnitude of forces, relabeling forces, or adding any missing forces that were omitted initially.