Rolling Two 3s: Probability & Combinations

In summary, the probability of rolling a three on a six sided die is 1/6. Doing it twice is 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36.
new_at_math
Say you roll a dice twice.You want to calculate the probablity of getting both dice to land on 3. Using the formula for combinations: the total number of combinations is 21. so is the probabilty of getting a 3 on both dice 1 /21 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of rolling a three on a six sided die is ##\frac16##. Doing it twice is ##\frac{1}{6} \cdot \frac{1}{6} = \frac{1}{36}##

explain

I don't see the logic
how is it permuation formula(combination formula ).
What is wrong with my method?

Whatever formula you have in mind, but there are 36 possible outcomes: [itex]\{(1,1), (1,2), (1,3), (1,4), (1,5), (1,6), (2,1), (2,2), (2,3), (2,4), (2,5), (2,6), (3,1), (3,2), (3,3), (3,4), (3,5), (3,6), (4,1), (4,2), (4,3), (4,4), (4,5), (4,6), (5,1), (5,2), (5,3), (5,4), (5,5), (5,6), (6,1), (6,2), (6,3), (6,4), (6,5), (6,6)\}[/itex]
If each of these seems equally likely to you, then the answer is [itex]\frac1{36}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
I'm guessing your method was to plug in "6 choose 2", which is the formula that tells you how many ways to pick a pair of people from a collection of 6 people. That doesn't describe the situation you named.

hi new_at_math! :smile:
new_at_math said:
Say you roll a dice twice.You want to calculate the probablity of getting both dice to land on 3. Using the formula for combinations: the total number of combinations is 21.

no, you're completely misunderstanding what combinations are for :redface:

21 is the number of different results you can get from two seven-sided dice if you're not allowed doubles …

12 13 14 15 16 17 23 24 25 26 27 34 35 36 37 45 46 47 56 57 67 …

start again: write out the possible combinations for a 3 (you did mean 3-total?) :smile:

I get it now it was a permutation with repetition;my bad.

new_at_math said:
Say you roll a dice twice.You want to calculate the probablity of getting both dice to land on 3.
I don't believe any formula with the word "permutation" or the word "combination" is an effective way to approach this problem.

new_at_math said:
I get it now it was a permutation with repetition;my bad.

No. Permutation is a rearrangement of a collection of objects.
Your example is a Bernoulli trial.

new_at_math said:
Say you roll a dice twice.
You roll a die twice. (Or you roll two dice.) "Dice" is the plural of "die".
You want to calculate the probablity of getting both dice to land on 3. Using the formula for combinations: the total number of combinations is 21. so is the probabilty of getting a 3 on both dice 1 /21 ?
Another way of looking at this is that if "A" and "B" are independent events, then the probability of "A and B" is the probability of A times the probability of B.

There are 6 faces on a die, one of which is a "3". As long as the faces are all equally likely to come up, the probability of a "3" is 1/6. The second roll of the die is independent of the first so the probability that both will come up "3" is (1/6)(1/6)= 1/36.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the probability of rolling two 3s in a row?

The probability of rolling a 3 on a single die is 1/6. Therefore, the probability of rolling two 3s in a row is (1/6) * (1/6) = 1/36.

2. How many different combinations are possible when rolling two dice?

There are 36 possible combinations when rolling two dice, as each die has six possible outcomes and 6*6=36.

3. What is the likelihood of rolling a total of 6 when rolling two dice?

The likelihood of rolling a total of 6 when rolling two dice is 5/36. This can be calculated by finding all the possible combinations that result in a total of 6 (1+5, 2+4, 3+3, 4+2, 5+1) and dividing it by the total number of combinations (36).

4. Is it more likely to roll a total of 7 or a total of 11 when rolling two dice?

It is more likely to roll a total of 7 when rolling two dice. The probability of rolling a total of 7 is 6/36, while the probability of rolling a total of 11 is 2/36.

5. How does the probability change if one die is loaded?

If one die is loaded, the probability of rolling two 3s in a row will change depending on how the die is loaded. If the loaded die favors rolling a 3, the probability will increase. If the loaded die favors rolling a different number, the probability will decrease. The exact change in probability will depend on the specific weighting of the loaded die.