Rope ladder -- How to be able to cast it long distances?

• I
  • Thread starter Greggl4321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a grappling hook and rope ladder in combination to climb up buildings or other high structures. The concept is similar to a messenger line used by ancient mariners, where a doubled rope is used to hoist the ladder up. However, there are concerns about the mechanics and possible tangling of the rope and hook. It is suggested to experiment with different models and seek training from someone with experience in lariat or bolo techniques. The post also mentions the use of an M-14 rifle in Army training for marksmanship.
Greggl4321
So here's a question for you boyscouts"

You know those rope ladders? the kind with the wooden dowels that are used as stairs? Well, my question is, how could a grappling hook be affixed to a rope ladder so that the hook and its rope are thrown, but when you go to pull on the rope connected to the hook the slack between the two are synched together so that the ladder climbs up to the top of the hook?

This way, the hook can be thrown great distances, affix itself to a roof, and the rope ladder would be pulled to the top of the building?

I'm having trouble conceptualizing how this would work, its not exactly intuitive, nor is it something I've thought about a great deal (much like how I was bogged when trying to solve a rubicks cube based on written instructions)Advice would be tremendously appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ancient mariners invented the solution to your query. They call it messenger lines.

A messenger line is a very thin rope or a string. It can be thrown over a yardarm or it could have a grapple on the end an a pulley (mariners call it a block). I used to put a weight on the end to make it easier to throw, but a grapple hook is its own weight.

The key points are a) The messenger line and/or hook are light enough to throw a long way. b) The messenger line must be doubled, so that it reaches from the ground to the top and down again. b) The messenger line is strong enough to lift the ladder, including any friction (reducing friction is where the block comes in.)

Here's a picture of people using messenger lines.
slask.png

dock-makingline.jpg

image.jpg?_ga=1.148727031.1348385876.jpg

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 788
  • dock-makingline.jpg
    dock-makingline.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 718
  • image.jpg?_ga=1.148727031.1348385876.jpg
    image.jpg?_ga=1.148727031.1348385876.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 604
Likes berkeman
Not quite sure what you said about the messenger line needing to be long enough to go down, and back up again?

I'm not quite sure how it could be done with a grappling hook. I Imagine a grappling hook tied to a rope ladder, the grappling hook goes onto the edge of a building, how does the ladder get hoisted up the rope?

You mentioned a grapple with a pulley on the end -- I'm a little confused conceptually about how this would work
Could someone please draw this out

If I had some rope or string, it might be easier to visualize.
Those are fantastic pictures

Greggl4321 said:
Not quite sure what you said about the messenger line needing to be long enough to go down, and back up again?
Up and back down again. Your grappling hook likely has an eye. Instead of tying the rope to the eye you tie one end to the top of the rope ladder and pass the other end through the eye. You slide the grappling hook halfway down the rope. So if you have a 60 foot rope, the grappling hook is 30 feet in. The grappling hook is now at one end of a 30 foot doubled rope. You hold onto the free end and toss the hook. When it catches and holds, you pull on the free end of the rope and the rope ladder is hoisted up. You now have to fasten the free end securely before you can climb the ladder.

Like you I have a difficult time visualizing such a device in action.

My suggestion is for you to purchase the different available models of rope ladders and hooks a lots of line and rope and heavy fishing weights. And experiment, see what you can make work.

Also sports training would to develop the muscles and visual coordination you will need.

If you are close to a harbor or boatyard, you might hire someone with experience to train you.

I bet, even if too inland, you could find someone to teach you lariat or bolo?

jbriggs444 said:
Up and back down again. Your grappling hook likely has an eye. Instead of tying the rope to the eye you tie one end to the top of the rope ladder and pass the other end through the eye.
etc. would make an excellent basis for achieving what's needed but . . .
Sending what is effectively a loop of line through an eye on the grapple could be problematic unless the loop is kept from tangling - which would spoil the whole thing. One way to solve that problem would be to have the loop inside a light sleeve, to keep the two lengths together - side by side but not twisting or tangling together. When the grapple is firm, you pull back the sleeve and you have your loop of light line. You can use this to pull out a heavier loop which could support your weight.
BTW Merry Christmas for tomorrow folks.

In case anyone is interested, the rifle in the 3rd picture of post #2 is an M-14, apparently outfitted to fire blanks. When I was in Army basic training in '67, that's the weapon we used for marksmanship training. It was superseded by the M-16.

1. How long should the rope ladder be to cast it long distances?

The length of the rope ladder depends on several factors such as the height and distance of the target location, the weight of the ladder, and the strength of the person casting it. Generally, a longer ladder will allow for a longer cast, but it is important to consider other factors as well.

2. What materials should be used to make a rope ladder for long distance casting?

The most commonly used materials for rope ladders are nylon, polypropylene, and polyester. These materials are lightweight yet strong enough to withstand the force of casting. It is also important to choose a material that is water and UV-resistant to ensure durability.

3. How should the rope ladder be constructed for efficient long distance casting?

The rope ladder should be constructed with even spacing between each rung to allow for a smooth and balanced cast. The rungs should also be securely attached to the ropes to prevent them from slipping off during casting. It is also important to evenly distribute the weight of the ladder for better balance.

4. What are some techniques for casting a rope ladder long distances?

One technique is the "flick" method, where the ladder is held with one hand and flicked forward with a quick wrist motion. Another technique is the "underhand" method, where the ladder is held with both hands and swung underhand like a pendulum. It is important to practice and find a technique that works best for the individual.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when casting a rope ladder long distances?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves to prevent rope burns. It is also important to make sure the area is clear of any obstacles or people before casting. Additionally, proper training and supervision should be done before attempting to cast a rope ladder long distances to avoid any potential accidents.