1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating a line anticlockwise about P

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the resulting equation of the line ax+by=c after rotating it anticlockwise by theta degrees about the point P(x0,y0) using the applications of the rotation matrix.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    you should be able to multiply it by a rotation matrix. Do you know what this is?

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    not really.. i need the equation of the new line though. i'm not quite sure how to go about this.. please help?

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    you need to translate the line so that its origin is at (x0, y0) then rotate and then translate the line back. You should be able to multiply these different matrices to obtain one matrix. Does this make sense?

I think you should look up matrix transformations if you still don't understand.

6. May 31, 2010 #5
    oh okay thank you. do you have know of a site at all that i may be able to refer to for extra help ?

7. May 31, 2010 #6
    http://wally.cs.iupui.edu/n351/3D/matrix.html [Broken]

hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook