Rotating dielectric sphere : Jackson 6.8

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 6.8 in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, which involves a dielectric sphere rotating in a uniform electric field. The solution involves using equation (6.100) to derive the non-relativistic expression for polarization, magnetization, and external fields. The online solution found is incorrect and confusing, and the conversation also expresses frustration with the lack of guidance in understanding the techniques used in the textbook.
Geodesic

Homework Statement

I'm working at the exercise 6.8 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. Here it is :
We consider a dielectric sphere of dielectric constant [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and of radius [tex]a[/tex] located at the origin. There is a uniform applied electric field [tex]E_0[/tex] in the [tex]x[/tex] direction. The sphere rotates with an angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about the [tex]z[/tex] axis. We have to show that there is a magnetic field [tex]\textbf{H} = - \nabla \Phi_M[/tex] where :
[tex]\Phi_M(\textbf{x}) = \frac{3}{5}\epsilon_0 \left( \frac{\epsilon - \epsilon_0}{\epsilon + 2 \epsilon_0} \right) E_0 \omega \left( \frac{a}{r_<} \right)^5 x z[/tex]
where [tex]r_> = \max(r, a)[/tex]. The motion is nonrelativistic.

The Attempt at a Solution

In every solutions I found (here is a good one : http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pran/jackson/P505/p10s.pdf" ), they suppose that the polarization of the sphere is the same as if the sphere stayed static :
[tex]\mathbf{P} = 3 \epsilon_0 \left( \frac{\epsilon - \epsilon_0}{\epsilon + 2 \epsilon_0} \right) E_0[/tex]
I guess we may assume this because we suppose the motion is nonrelativistic ?
So we have a bound surface charge density
[tex]\sigma_{pol} = \mathbf{P} \cdot \mathbf{\hat{n}}[/tex]
where [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] is the normal vector to the sphere.
Now comes the part I don't understand. They suppose, since the sphere is rotating, there is an effective surface current with density :
[tex]\mathbf{K}_M = \sigma_{pol}(\mathbf{x}) . \mathbf{v}(\mathbf{x})[/tex]
I don't understand why we may suppose the existence of such surface current since, as I see the situation, the surface charge density stay constant because we assumed the polarization was the same as if the sphere didn't rotate...

I hope I was clear :)

Thank you in advance !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem probably makes more sense after Problem 6.7. Refer to Section 6.6, especially equation (6.100). Jackson derives the non-relativistic expression relating polarization, magnetization, and external fields.

The online solution you found does this problem in a confusing, non-rigorous way. It looks like the correct way uses (6.100). Note that many of the solutions on that web page are incorrect, or at least confusing. They were written up by students, and it often seems like the students who wrote them didn't really know what they were doing.

That is a general frustration students (especially myself) have from Jackson: even though the professor only assigns a handful of problems, and realistically you don't even have time to do those properly, the techniques are built up from previous problems; he doesn't do a very good job guiding the student who only does a selection of problems. The same with Arfken.

What is a rotating dielectric sphere?

A rotating dielectric sphere is a physical system in which a sphere made of a dielectric material (a non-conducting material) is rotating at a constant rate. This system is often used in physics experiments to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

What is the significance of Jackson 6.8 in relation to rotating dielectric spheres?

Jackson 6.8 refers to a specific section in the book "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, which discusses the behavior of a rotating dielectric sphere in an external electric field. This section is commonly referenced in research and experiments involving rotating dielectric spheres.

What factors affect the behavior of a rotating dielectric sphere?

The behavior of a rotating dielectric sphere is influenced by a variety of factors, including the material and size of the sphere, the strength and direction of the external electric field, and the speed of rotation. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of other electrically charged objects can also have an impact.

What are some applications of studying rotating dielectric spheres?

Studying rotating dielectric spheres has many applications in physics research, including understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, testing theoretical models, and developing new technologies such as optical tweezers and particle accelerators. It is also useful in studying atmospheric phenomena such as lightning and thunderstorms.

What are some limitations of using a rotating dielectric sphere in experiments?

One limitation of using a rotating dielectric sphere in experiments is that it can be difficult to control all of the influencing factors, such as external electric fields and temperature. Additionally, the physical properties of the sphere, such as imperfections or irregularities, can affect the results. It is also important to consider the effects of friction and air resistance on the rotation of the sphere.