Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating Dirac particle current

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    There is a step that bothers me in my book (Ryder) on QFT and I can't seem to figure it out. It concerns the (spatial) rotation of the spatial part of the Dirac four current:

[tex]\bar{\psi} \gamma \psi [/tex]

The crucial step here is

[tex]\frac{1}{4}(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{\theta}) \vec{\sigma}(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{\theta}) = -\vec{\theta} \times \vec{ \sigma} [/tex]

With [itex]\vec{\theta}[/tex] the (infinitesimal) rotation and [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/tex] the vector consiting of the three Pauli matrices.

I tried writing it in tensor notation and using the commutation reltaions as in the supplied tip, but I can't figure it out... Can anybody show me this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2
    What are you trying to prove, invariance of the four current under rotation? This is not that difficult.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3
    Well, thx :wink: Actually, that the spatial part of the Dirac four-current bahves as a vector under rotations. BUt I finally figured it out myself at last!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?