How Fast Should a Space Station Rotate to Mimic Earth's Gravity?

In summary: Do you ever have one of those moments where you just can't believe you mixed up something really simple?
Becca93
Homework Statement
A proposed space station includes living quarters in a circular ring 62.0 m in diameter. At what angular speed should the ring rotate so the occupants feel that they have the same weight as they do on Earth?

The attempt at a solution

I assumed that to do this problem, Fcp had to equal the force of gravity.

Fcp = Fg

mv^2 / r = mg
v^2 / r = g
v = √(rg)
v = √(62g)
v = 24.65

v = ωr
ω = v/r
ω = 24.65 / 62
ω = 0.398 rad/s

This isn't correct.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do differently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Becca93 said:
Homework Statement
A proposed space station includes living quarters in a circular ring 62.0 m in diameter. At what angular speed should the ring rotate so the occupants feel that they have the same weight as they do on Earth?

The attempt at a solution

I assumed that to do this problem, Fcp had to equal the force of gravity.

Fcp = Fg

mv^2 / r = mg
v^2 / r = g
v = √(rg)
v = √(62g)
v = 24.65

v = ωr
ω = v/r
ω = 24.65 / 62
ω = 0.398 rad/s

This isn't correct.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do differently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see anything wrong with your physics. The problem may lie with your math. What value of g did you use? Using g = 9.81 N/kg, I get v = 24.66 m/s (to two decimal places).

cepheid said:
I don't see anything wrong with your physics. The problem may lie with your math. What value of g did you use? Using g = 9.81 N/kg, I get v = 24.66 m/s (to two decimal places).

I tried both, but when whittled down to the required three sigfigs, the answer is still 0.398 rad/s.

I'm at a loss as to what to do differently.

Becca93 said:
I tried both, but when whittled down to the required three sigfigs, the answer is still 0.398 rad/s.

I'm at a loss as to what to do differently.

Oh. :redface:

62.0 m is the diameter of the space station, not its radius.

It helps if you read the problem carefully (and I apply this advice to you and me both!).

cepheid said:
Oh. :redface:

62.0 m is the diameter of the space station, not its radius.

It helps if you read the problem carefully (and I apply this advice to you and me both!).

:redface: Do you ever have one of those moments where you just can't believe you mixed up something really simple?

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I feel a bit foolish, but I do have the right answer now.

1. What is a rotating space station?

A rotating space station is a large structure in outer space that simulates the effects of gravity through rotation. It is typically used for long-term human habitation and scientific research.

2. How does a rotating space station work?

A rotating space station works by spinning at a constant speed, creating centrifugal force that mimics the effects of gravity. The rotation keeps the station in a constant state of free-fall, allowing objects and occupants inside to experience the sensation of weight.

3. What are the benefits of a rotating space station?

There are several benefits to a rotating space station. It allows for long-term human habitation in space, as it provides artificial gravity that helps maintain the health of astronauts. It also enables scientific experiments to be conducted in a microgravity environment, which can produce different results than on Earth.

4. How is a rotating space station different from a regular space station?

A rotating space station differs from a regular space station in that it creates artificial gravity through rotation, while a regular space station does not. This allows for a more comfortable living and working environment for astronauts, and makes certain tasks, such as exercise and hygiene, easier to perform.

5. Can a rotating space station be built in the near future?

While there have been proposals and designs for rotating space stations, none have been fully realized yet. It is a complex and expensive undertaking, but with advancements in technology and continued interest in space exploration, it is possible that a rotating space station could be built in the near future.