Calculating Max Angular Velocity for Rotation and Force

In summary, the problem involves an iron cube on the inside of a rotating cone. The cube is at a distance of 0.2m from the center axis and the cone has a constant angular velocity of \omega. The cube is kept in place by the forces of gravity, normal force, and friction. The friction force must be equal to the component of the centripetal force parallel to the surface in order for the cube to remain stationary. This results in a range of possible angular velocities, rather than just one unstable equilibrium point.
hastings

Homework Statement

[tex]\omega=constant[/tex]

[tex]R=0.2m [/tex]

[tex]\theta=30°[/tex]

[tex]\mu _s=0.5 [/tex] between the iron cube and the surface

[tex]\omega_{max}=?[/tex]

Homework Equations

Fx=Fsin(α) or cos(α)
Friction=µN

The Attempt at a Solution

in pink I drew the gravity force and the normal force.
Which other force acts on the body? the friction force is directed along the surface, but in which direction going towards the center of the cone or outward? Why?

Attachments

• prob1.bmp
    71.1 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make out the setup from your diagram. Centripetal force is directed towards the center of rotation.

the exercise is a little difficult to explain in words, it would be much easier with a picture.
An iron cube is on the inside rough surface ( [tex]\mu_s=0.5 [/tex]) of a cone which is upside down. this cone rotates around its centre axis with a [tex] \omega=constant[/tex]. between the axis and the surface there's an angle of [tex] \theta=30[/tex]°. the cube is at a distance R=20cm from the centre axis. find the [tex]\omega_{max}=?[/tex], maximum angular velocity, so that the cube remains still on the cone's surface.

I drew 2 imaginary axis x and y with origin in the cube. I am sure there are at least 2 forces:gravity,pointing down, and normal pointing away form the surface. which is the direction of the friction force? is it toward the centre of the cone or outward? why?

Last edited:
OK, I think I understand the setup now. You need the sliding forces to cancel out. The downward sliding is due to gravity, and the counterforce is the component of the centripetal force that is parallel to the surface. Remember that the normal force will be made up of two components - gravity and centripetal force.

[tex]m (\omega^2R) = N+G[/tex] where N and G stand for Normal force and Gravity force.

omega² ∙R is the centripetal acceleration.
How do I fit in the friction force?

Is it right? I'm pretty much confused so please give me clear hints.

Last edited:
Ignoring friction for the moment, do you agree that

downward sliding force = mgcos(theta)

upward sliding force = mrw^2sin(theta)

?

Mentz114 said:
upward sliding force = mrw^2sin(theta)?

Why?
I agree with the 1st statement, but I'm still having doubts on the direction of the centrifugal force. Is it parallel to the ground (not the cone's surface) point out?
Could you just show it with a picture post? This will clear out all my doubts. Thank you.

There is a component of the centripetal force that is parallel to the surface.
I suggest you draw a diagram.

Could you just tell me if the axis x and y are right as I drew them?
Did I draw all the forces acting on the object correctly ?

Attachments

• diag1.bmp
    59.3 KB · Views: 470
Yes. That's what I drew. Now, I could be wrong, but in equilibrium those sliding forces are equal. Also friction is irrelevant because nothing moves.

If you equate the forces, mass cancels out as it should, and you can solve for omega. Mass cancels out because gravity and centripetal 'force' are actually accelerations not forces.

ok, thanks a lot for your help
!

Mentz114 said:
Yes. That's what I drew. Now, I could be wrong, but in equilibrium those sliding forces are equal. Also friction is irrelevant because nothing moves.

If it weren't for static friction, there would be no range of rotation rates over which the iron cube is stationary. There would instead be one equilibrium rate. If the cone rotates slow than this rate the cube falls down the cone. For a fixed rotation rate w, the w cross r term decreases as the cube falls down the cone and increases as the cube works its way up the cone. The equilibrium rate thus represents an unstable equilibrium.

When you account for static friction (nothing is moving, so this is a static friction problem), the unstable equilibrium point becomes a range of rates.

1. What is max angular velocity for rotation?

The max angular velocity for rotation is the maximum rate at which an object can rotate around a fixed axis. It is usually measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How do you calculate max angular velocity for rotation?

The max angular velocity for rotation can be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the rotating object. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular acceleration by the time it takes to reach the desired velocity.

3. What factors affect the max angular velocity for rotation?

The max angular velocity for rotation is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the rotating object. The force applied to the object and the friction between the object and the surface it is rotating on also affect the max angular velocity.

4. Why is it important to calculate the max angular velocity for rotation?

Calculating the max angular velocity for rotation is important because it helps determine the maximum speed at which an object can rotate without losing stability or breaking apart. It also helps in designing and optimizing rotating systems for efficiency and safety.

5. Can the max angular velocity for rotation be exceeded?

Yes, the max angular velocity for rotation can be exceeded, but it can result in loss of stability, structural damage, or even failure of the rotating object. It is important to stay within the calculated max angular velocity to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the system.