Rotation and Tension in Strings

In summary, the problem involves a system with a rotating mass and two strings, and the equation of motion is T- \ mg \cos 45 = I \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = I \frac{d \omega}{dt} with a moment of inertia of 2I. The next step would be to make a free-body diagram and analyze the forces vertically and horizontally. The right hand side of the equation should equal zero, meaning T=mgSin45°. The problem also involves two unknowns for the tension in each string.
roam

Homework Statement

Here is another question I had:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg84/scaled.php?server=84&filename=problem2v.jpg&res=landing

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the equation of motion for this system is:

[itex]T- \ mg \cos 45 = I \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = I \frac{d \omega}{dt}[/itex]

And the moment of inertia for each rod is I=1/3ML2 (since the rotation axis is through the end). So the moment of inertia for the whole system would be 2I? I'm not sure where to go from here. What do I have to do with the right hand side of this equation? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use free-body diagram.
Analyse all the forces and resultant forces, vertically and horizontally.

azizlwl said:
Use free-body diagram.
Analyse all the forces and resultant forces, vertically and horizontally.

If I worte down forces more precisely how does that help with the right hand side of the equation?

Your equation is wrong.
As you see it is a constant angular velocity ω
Your right hand side of equation is equal to zero, means T=mgSin45° ?

Think about vertical component. Does it move relative to ground.

Hello roam
Strings are supposed to be mass less so you don't have to worry about moment of inertia in this case.The problem requires you to make a free body diagram so as to firstly explain the vertical stability of the mass m and secondly to maintain it in a circular using the tension in each of the strings.As such your problem involves two unknowns one for the tension in upper string and second for that in lower string.They will not be the same .Try solving it now.
regards
Yukoel

1. What is the difference between rotational and tension forces in strings?

Rotational forces refer to the torque or twisting force applied to a string, while tension forces refer to the pulling or stretching force applied to a string. Both forces are important in understanding the behavior of strings.

2. How is the tension in a string affected by its rotation?

The tension in a string can increase or decrease depending on its rotation. When a string is rotated, the tension on the side of the string that is rotating away from the center increases, while the tension on the side rotating towards the center decreases. This is known as the centrifugal effect.

3. What is the relationship between rotational speed and tension in a string?

As the rotational speed of a string increases, the tension in the string also increases. This is because the centrifugal force exerted on the string also increases with speed. This relationship is important in understanding the stability of rotating strings.

4. How does the length of a string affect its rotational and tension forces?

The longer the string, the greater the rotational and tension forces it can withstand. This is because longer strings have more mass and therefore require more force to rotate and stretch. Additionally, the tension in a string increases as its length increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding rotation and tension in strings?

The understanding of rotation and tension in strings has many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, sports equipment, and engineering structures. For example, understanding the tension in guitar strings is crucial for producing the desired sound, and the stability of suspension bridges relies heavily on the understanding of rotational and tension forces in the cables.