Rotation around an arbitrary point

In summary, the conversation discusses rotating a point $(10,11)$ with rotation angle $\frac{\pi}{3}$ around the point $P=(-1,-1)$. The steps involve translating the point, rotating it around the origin, and then translating it back to the original position. There is also a clarification about the translation step and how to properly rotate a vector. Overall, the conversation provides a detailed explanation on how to rotate a point around a given point.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to rotate the point $(10, 11)$ with rotation angle $\frac{\pi}{3}$ around the point $P=(-1,-1)$.

I have done the following:
  • We translate about $-\vec{OP}$: \begin{equation*}P'=(-1\mid -1)-(-1\mid -1)=(0\mid 0)\end{equation*}
  • We rotate around the origin: \begin{equation*}R_{\frac{\pi}{3}}\cdot \binom{10}{11}=\begin{pmatrix}\cos \frac{\pi}{3} & -\sin \frac{\pi}{3} \\ \sin \frac{\pi}{3} & \cos\frac{\pi}{3}\end{pmatrix}\binom{10}{11}=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2} & -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix}\binom{10}{11}=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2}\cdot 10 -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot 11 \\ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot 10 + \frac{1}{2}\cdot 11\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}5 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{11}{2}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
  • We translate about $\vec{OP}$ :
    \begin{equation*}\begin{pmatrix}5 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{11}{2}\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}4 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{9}{2}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

Therefore, the image of $(10\mid 11)$ is $\left (4 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2}, 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{9}{2}\right )$. Is everything correct? Have I done the translation right? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to rotate the point $(10, 11)$ with rotation angle $\frac{\pi}{3}$ around the point $P=(-1,-1)$.

I have done the following:
  • We translate about $-\vec{OP}$: \begin{equation*}P'=(-1\mid -1)-(-1\mid -1)=(0\mid 0)\end{equation*}

This translation isn't quite right. You need to move the point $(10,11)$ thus:

$\displaystyle (10,11) \to (10,11) - (-1,-1) \to (11, 12)$. So you apply your rotation matrix to the point $(11,12)$. Does that make sense?

The other steps look right to me.

mathmari said:
  • We rotate around the origin: \begin{equation*}R_{\frac{\pi}{3}}\cdot \binom{10}{11}=\begin{pmatrix}\cos \frac{\pi}{3} & -\sin \frac{\pi}{3} \\ \sin \frac{\pi}{3} & \cos\frac{\pi}{3}\end{pmatrix}\binom{10}{11}=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2} & -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix}\binom{10}{11}=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2}\cdot 10 -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot 11 \\ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot 10 + \frac{1}{2}\cdot 11\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}5 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{11}{2}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
    \begin{equation*}\begin{pmatrix}5 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{11}{2}\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}4 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{9}{2}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

Therefore, the image of $(10\mid 11)$ is $\left (4 -\frac{11\sqrt{3}}{2}, 5\sqrt{3} + \frac{9}{2}\right )$. Is everything correct? Have I done the translation right? (Wondering)

Ackbach said:
This translation isn't quite right. You need to move the point $(10,11)$ thus:

$\displaystyle (10,11) \to (10,11) - (-1,-1) \to (11, 12)$. So you apply your rotation matrix to the point $(11,12)$. Does that make sense?

Let $M$ be the point that we want to rotate. Do we have to translate the vector $\vec{PM}$ to the origin, so that it becomes a vector of the form $\vec{OM'}$, with $|\vec{PM}|=|\vec{OM'}|$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Let $M$ be the point that we want to rotate. Do we have to translate the vector $\vec{PM}$ to the origin, so that it becomes a vector of the form $\vec{OM'}$, with $|\vec{PM}|=|\vec{OM'}|$ ? (Wondering)

Exactly!

Ackbach said:
Exactly!

I got stuck right now. Why is the differnece $M-P$ a vector from the origin? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I got stuck right now. Why is the differnece $M-P$ a vector from the origin? (Wondering)

Because if you move a vector around, keeping its length and direction the same, you have not changed the vector. The vector $M-P$ is precisely the vector you need to rotate. If you draw the points $M$ and $P$ on plot, and draw the vector from $P$ to $M$, then take that exact vector and translate it so that its tail is at the origin, you can then rotate it with the standard rotation matrices (which assume the tail of the vector to be rotated is already at the origin). Does that help?

Ackbach said:
Because if you move a vector around, keeping its length and direction the same, you have not changed the vector. The vector $M-P$ is precisely the vector you need to rotate. If you draw the points $M$ and $P$ on plot, and draw the vector from $P$ to $M$, then take that exact vector and translate it so that its tail is at the origin, you can then rotate it with the standard rotation matrices (which assume the tail of the vector to be rotated is already at the origin). Does that help?

So we have the following:

View attachment 6985

A vector i defined by its length and direction. We have the vector PM and the vector OA. We have created the vector OA so that it has the same length and direction as PM. Therefore, OA=PM. is it correct so far? (Wondering)

After the rotation we get the vector OB. Then we have to translate it. How do we do that? (Wondering)

Attachments

• ve.png
    ve.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 54
mathmari said:
So we have the following:

A vector i defined by its length and direction. We have the vector PM and the vector OA. We have created the vector OA so that it has the same length and direction as PM. Therefore, OA=PM. is it correct so far? (Wondering)

After the rotation we get the vector OB. Then we have to translate it. How do we do that? (Wondering)

By doing this:

mathmari said:

Ackbach said:
By doing this:
Ah ok! Thank you very much! (Smile)

What is rotation around an arbitrary point?

Rotation around an arbitrary point, also known as a pivot point, is a mathematical concept that describes the movement of an object or coordinate system around a fixed point in a three-dimensional space.

Why is rotation around an arbitrary point important in science?

Rotation around an arbitrary point is important in science because it allows us to understand and model the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental concept in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

How do you calculate the rotation around an arbitrary point?

To calculate the rotation around an arbitrary point, you need to know the coordinates of the point, the angle of rotation, and the direction of rotation. Using trigonometric functions, you can then determine the new coordinates of the object after the rotation.

What are some real-life applications of rotation around an arbitrary point?

Rotation around an arbitrary point has many real-life applications, such as in robotics, where it is used to control the movement of robotic arms and joints. It is also crucial in computer graphics, where it is used to animate 3D objects and create special effects in movies and video games.

How does rotation around an arbitrary point differ from rotation around the origin?

Rotation around an arbitrary point and rotation around the origin are similar concepts, but the former involves rotating an object around a fixed point in space, while the latter involves rotating an object around the point (0,0,0). This means that the coordinates of the object will change differently in each case.