Rotation os axes confusing me.

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a math problem and expressing their confusion and concern about making mistakes. Another classmate confirms their work and provides additional information on the topic. The student plans to seek more help in the future as they continue to learn.
Beeza
Hey guys,

This is my first post, and I spent a lot of time trying to figure this one out and I am totally stumped! Two of my classmates got different answers, and no matter how many ways i work this problem out, I still get the same answer.

Also, forgive me if my mistake is really simple because at this time last year I was in a pre-algebra class. Now, I'm in precalculus and managing to get an A, but I still make arithmetic mistakes at times.

I hope this attachment works right.

Attachments

• beezaconfused.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 264
Physics news on Phys.org
G'day, Beeza.

Your work is great and I agree with you.

Here's what the tilted parabola looks like with the new axes and the untilted parabola.

beeza2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation Unco! I was hoping that I wasn't crazy

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions this spring--when I take Calculus1.

1. What is rotation of axes in mathematics?

Rotation of axes is a mathematical concept where the coordinate axes are rotated to a different position in order to simplify a problem or better visualize a geometric shape.

2. How is rotation of axes different from rotation of objects?

While rotation of objects refers to the physical movement of an object around a fixed point, rotation of axes involves changing the reference frame in which the object is viewed.

3. How does rotation of axes affect equations and graphs?

When the axes are rotated, the equations and graphs of geometric shapes are transformed accordingly. This can make it easier to solve problems involving these shapes.

4. What is a common application of rotation of axes in real life?

One common application of rotation of axes is in engineering, where it is used to simplify complex problems involving three-dimensional structures.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using rotation of axes?

One potential drawback is that it can be challenging to visualize the transformed shapes and equations, especially for those who are not familiar with the concept. Additionally, it may not always be necessary or beneficial to use rotation of axes in problem-solving.