Rotation of Axes showing parabola

In summary, the given equation 2sqrt(2)(x+y)^2=7x+9y represents a parabola after using rotation of axes. The XY- and xy- coordinates of the vertex are (1, -(3√2)/2) and ((5√2)/2, -(3√2)/2) respectively. The focus of the parabola in xy-coordinates is at the point ((79√2)/32, -(47√2)/32) and the directrix is the line y = x - (65√2)/16.
indio1
I was given the equation: 2sqrt(2)(x+y)^2=7x+9y

I need to then:
a)Use rotation of axes to show that the following equation represents a parabola
b) Find the XY- and xy- coordinates of the vertex and focus
c) Find the equation of the directrix in XY- and xy-coordinates

Formulas provided:

General Equation of a Conic
Ax^2+Bxy+Cy^2+Dx+Ey+F=0

cot2(fi) =A-C/B

x=Xcos(fi)-Ysin(fi)
y=Xsin(fi)+Ycos(fi)

So, I got up to a certain point but now I am unsure as to what I must do.
I solved for fi, which equals 45 degrees

I solved for x and y which is

x= X/sqrt(2) -Y/sqrt(2)
y= X/sqrt(2)+Y/sqrt(2)

I think I should plug it into the original equation to get x^2=4py or y^2=4px?
Then I am just oblivious as to how I should solve for directrix and vertex,focus for XY, and xy

Any help would be appreciated
This section is new to me so I am working on learning the fundamentals of this section and this touches upon all aspects of the section.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi indio1! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a phi: φ and try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
indio1 said:
I solved for x and y which is

x= X/sqrt(2) -Y/sqrt(2)
y= X/sqrt(2)+Y/sqrt(2)

that's right! :smile:

you should get something like X2 + Ax + By = 0

So, i then get this

4x'2 - 8x' - y' = 0.

Put in other form:

y' = 4x'2 - 8x'

y' + 4 = 4(x'2 - 2x' + 1)

y' = 4(x' - 1)2 - 4

vertex is at (1,-4) in x'y'-coordinates. use the formulae for expressing x,y in terms of x',y'.

the x-coordinate of the vertex is (1)(√2/2) - (-4)(√2/2) = (5√2)/2
the y-coordinate of the vertex is (1)(√2/2) + (-4)(√2/2) = -(3√2)/2

standard form:

(x' - 1)2 = 4(1/16)(y' + 4)

focus of the parabola in x'y'-coordinates is at (1,-63/16) and the directrix is the line y' = -65/16.

(1)(√2/2) - (-63/16)(√2/2) = (79√2)/32
(1)(√2/2) + (-63/16)(√2/2) = -(47√2)/32

line is of the form: y - y0 = x - x0.

(0)(√2/2) - (-65/16)(√2/2) = (65√2)/32 <---x0
(0)(√2/2) + (-65/16)(√2/2) = -(65√2)/32 <---y0.

this tells us the equation of the directrix in xy-coordinates is: y = x - (65√2)/16

According to wolframalpha, something is wrong here.
the focus is at the point 79/16sqrt(2) and -47/16sqrt(2) and the directrix is at the point x -65/8sqrt(2)

What is wrong here?

indio1 said:
So, i then get this

4x'2 - 8x' - y' = 0.

Put in other form:

y' = 4x'2 - 8x'

y' + 4 = 4(x'2 - 2x' + 1)

y' = 4(x' - 1)2 - 4

looks fine down to here :smile:

(i can't remember anything about focus and directrix, so i can't comment on the rest :redface:)

1. What is the rotation of axes method?

The rotation of axes method is a technique used in mathematics to change the orientation of a coordinate system. It involves rotating the axes of a coordinate system by a certain angle to simplify the equation of a curve.

2. How is the rotation of axes used to show a parabola?

To show a parabola using the rotation of axes method, the coordinate axes are rotated such that the parabola's axis of symmetry is aligned with one of the new axes. This makes it easier to find the equation of the parabola in the new coordinate system.

3. What are the advantages of using the rotation of axes method to show a parabola?

Using the rotation of axes method to show a parabola can simplify the equation of the curve and make it easier to find important points, such as the vertex and focus. It can also help in graphing the parabola and understanding its properties.

4. Can the rotation of axes method be used for other types of curves besides parabolas?

Yes, the rotation of axes method can be used for other types of curves, such as ellipses and hyperbolas. It can also be used to simplify the equations of conic sections.

5. What is the role of the angle of rotation in the rotation of axes method?

The angle of rotation is an important factor in the rotation of axes method. It determines the orientation of the new coordinate system and can affect the equation of the curve. Choosing the correct angle of rotation is crucial in order to simplify the equation and accurately show the curve.