1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Dynamics / Moment of Inertia Question

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An oxygen molecule consists of two oxygen atoms whose total mass is 5.3x10^-26 kg and whose moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the line joining the two atoms, midway between them, is 1.9 x 10^-46 kg*m^2. From this data, estimate the effective distance between the atoms.

2. Relevant equations
    ## I = M1R^2 + M2R^2 ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I = (M1+M2)R^2
    1.9 x 10^-46 kg*m^2 = (5.3 x 10^-26kg)R^2
    R = 5.99 x 10^-11 m

Although I got that this is the radius, this is not the answer to the problem. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, as it seems right to me. Could anyone check my work? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Geometrically, what do you mean by "radius" here? How does this radius relate to the distance between the atoms?

4. Jul 2, 2013 #3
    OH. Ugh, stupid mistake on my part! I used trig and got D to be 1.20 x 10^-10 m.
    Thanks!

5. Jul 2, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

trig? How?

6. Jul 2, 2013 #5
    a209f0bb1bd1fb3d67d28f80a53a8df9.png
    This is the diagram I drew, and you get that D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2).
    I then just solved for D, and it actually turned out to be approximately 2R.

7. Jul 2, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm. I imagine an oxygen molecule as being a little "dumbbell". What is "I" in your drawing?

Attached Files:

8. Jul 2, 2013 #7
    I had I as the Moment of Inertia.

9. Jul 2, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you wrote the equation D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2), does "I" represent moment of inertia? If so, do you see a problem with that? Note that I is not a distance, and therefore cannot be used as one side of a right triangle.

10. Jul 2, 2013 #9
    Hmm, I see what you mean. I seem to have confused the moment of Inertia with the Moment Arm. In that case, I'm not sure how to use the information I have to get an answer :/

11. Jul 2, 2013 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the meaning of the ##\small R\:##'s in the formula ##\small I = m_1R_1^2 + m_2R^2## for the moment of inertia? Would you be able to label ##\small R_1## and ##\small R_2## in the figure of the oxygen molecule that I posted earlier?

12. Jul 2, 2013 #11
    Ohhh I see. So it is 2R, I was just lucky that the numbers worked out when I did it my way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted