Rotational Dynamics / Moment of Inertia Question

• Thread starter Arcarius
  • Start date

Homework Statement

An oxygen molecule consists of two oxygen atoms whose total mass is 5.3x10^-26 kg and whose moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the line joining the two atoms, midway between them, is 1.9 x 10^-46 kg*m^2. From this data, estimate the effective distance between the atoms.

Homework Equations

## I = M1R^2 + M2R^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I = (M1+M2)R^2
1.9 x 10^-46 kg*m^2 = (5.3 x 10^-26kg)R^2
R = 5.99 x 10^-11 m

Although I got that this is the radius, this is not the answer to the problem. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, as it seems right to me. Could anyone check my work? Thanks!

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Geometrically, what do you mean by "radius" here? How does this radius relate to the distance between the atoms?

Likes 1 person
Geometrically, what do you mean by "radius" here. How does this radius relate to the distance between the atoms?
OH. Ugh, stupid mistake on my part! I used trig and got D to be 1.20 x 10^-10 m.
Thanks!

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
trig? How?

a209f0bb1bd1fb3d67d28f80a53a8df9.png

This is the diagram I drew, and you get that D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2).
I then just solved for D, and it actually turned out to be approximately 2R.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hmm. I imagine an oxygen molecule as being a little "dumbbell". What is "I" in your drawing?

Attachments

Hmm. I imagine an oxygen molecule as being a little "dumbbell". What is "I" in your drawing?
I had I as the Moment of Inertia.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
When you wrote the equation D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2), does "I" represent moment of inertia? If so, do you see a problem with that? Note that I is not a distance, and therefore cannot be used as one side of a right triangle.

When you wrote the equation D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2), does "I" represent moment of inertia? If so, do you see a problem with that? Note that I is not a distance, and therefore cannot be used as one side of a right triangle.
Hmm, I see what you mean. I seem to have confused the moment of Inertia with the Moment Arm. In that case, I'm not sure how to use the information I have to get an answer :/

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What is the meaning of the ##\small R\:##'s in the formula ##\small I = m_1R_1^2 + m_2R^2## for the moment of inertia? Would you be able to label ##\small R_1## and ##\small R_2## in the figure of the oxygen molecule that I posted earlier?

What is the meaning of the ##\small R\:##'s in the formula ##\small I = m_1R_1^2 + m_2R^2## for the moment of inertia? Would you be able to label ##\small R_1## and ##\small R_2## in the figure of the oxygen molecule that I posted earlier?
Ohhh I see. So it is 2R, I was just lucky that the numbers worked out when I did it my way.