Rotational energy of two orbiting astronauts connected by rope

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MJC8719
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Two astronauts (Fig. P11.51), each having a mass of 77.0 kg, are connected by a 11.0 m rope of negligible mass. They are isolated in space, orbiting their center of mass at speeds of 5.40 m/s.


(a) Treating the astronauts as particles, calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum.
4573.8 kgm2/s
(b) Calculate the rotational energy of the system.

What is the equation for rotational energy of a system...I thought it was Krot = L^2/(2I) which for this problem would have been (4573.8^2)/(2 x 144 x 5.5^2) but this is not correct. I though 2 I would be equal to 2MR as the astronauts are like a hollow disk rotating in the air
 
Physics news on Phys.org
wow..never mind 2x77 is 154 and not 144 lol

thanks for looking