Rotational inertia of a rod that has mass on one end

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
xd14
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a 3 kg mass is on the end of a metal rod which is pivoted at one end. the mass of the rod is 2kg its length is 4 meters

Homework Equations


I=(ML^2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution


the rotational inertia of the rod itself is 10.6 but i don't know how the 3kg mass at the end would effect things
 
Physics news on Phys.org
xd14 said:

Homework Statement


a 3 kg mass is on the end of a metal rod which is pivoted at one end. the mass of the rod is 2kg its length is 4 meters

Homework Equations


I=(ML^2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution


the rotational inertia of the rod itself is 10.6 but i don't know how the 3kg mass at the end would effect things
Assuming the mass at the end has negligible size , what is the I of a particle of mass m about a pivot point , and then note the I of the rod-mass system is the sum of the I's of its parts.