Rotational Inertia: Solve for Acceleration of Suspended Masses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
annamae
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two masses are suspended from a pulley system. The pulley itself has a mass of .2kg, a radius of .015m, and a constant torque of .35Nm due to friction between the rotating pulley and its axle. What is the magnitude of acceleration of the suspended masses if m1=.4kg and m2 = .8kg?


Homework Equations



Torque=I(rotational inertia) * angular acceleration
I= 1/2* m * r2


The Attempt at a Solution


T=I*a
.35= (.5)(.2)(.0152)(a)
233.333=angular acceleration

233.333/.015=3.5
3.5=linear acceleration

What do I do with the masses?
Is all that above work right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
T = Ia is for T(total) you have just taken T due to friction
also use the T due to tension in strings ...

and for masses find net acceleration using newon's laws and find tension in 2 strings ... then apply T=Ia
 
could you maybe explain that with a bit more detail, I am still not sure of what to do