Rotational kinematics - acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wheel with a radius R and mass M, a hub with a radius r and mass m, and a hanging mass X suspended from a string wrapped around the hub. The goal is to find the acceleration of the suspended mass after it is released, assuming negligible axle radius and mass and solid wheel and hub with uniform density. The conversation also touches on the concepts of tension in the string, torque, Newton's 2nd law, and rotational inertia. The solution involves setting up equations for the wheel/hub and hanging mass and solving them together.
physgirl
so there's a wheel with radius R and mass M. there's also a hub attached to the wheel's center with radius r and mass m. there's also a mass X suspended from a massless string that's wound around the hub. if the axle has negligible radius and mass and both wheel and the hub are solid with uniform density, how would you find the acceleration of the suspended mass after its released?

i thought what it was askng for was the tangential acceleration, which i found to be equal to (F*r^2)/I... (since tan acc is r*alpha where alpha is r*F/I because torque = I*alpha and also r*F)... so i tried doing:
[r^2*X*g]/0.5[M*R+m*r]
but that doesn't work and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong... can someone point me in the right direction?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Two problems:
(1) The force F pulling on the hub does not equal the weight of the hanging mass. It does equal the tension in the string.
(2) The rotational inertial of a disk is 0.5MR^2.

Set up equations (Newton's 2nd law) for both wheel/hub and hanging mass and solve them together to get the acceleration.

1- isn't the tension of the string the same thing as mg?

also, what do you mean by "set up equations... to get the acceleration"? the 2nd law equation for the wheel/hub would be (m+M)alpha=F and for the hanging mass it would be F=Xg?...? I'm lost :(

physgirl said:
1- isn't the tension of the string the same thing as mg?
No. Think about it: if the tension in the string was equal to mg, then the net force on the mass would be zero. It would just sit there. (This is what would happen if you hung the mass from a string that was fixed to the roof, say.) But since that string moves, the tension will be less than mg.

also, what do you mean by "set up equations... to get the acceleration"? the 2nd law equation for the wheel/hub would be (m+M)alpha=F and for the hanging mass it would be F=Xg?...?
Here are the equations you need:
(a) Torque = I alpha ==> Fr = I_total*alpha = I_total*a/r
(b) Xg - F = Xa

Note: We know that the acceleration is down, so I take down to be positive.

I see, this is probably a dumb question but why did you go from Fr=I_total*alpha => F = I_total*a/r (that is, alpha to a?)

and if you didn't mean to switch over... I know I'm supposed to be solving for acceleration, so how do i know what alpha is?

lastly... I don't really understand the concept of "I"... the mass and radius of what object is supposed to be involved...? is it everything that's involved in the whole system? or just the wheel that's actually doing the turning? or just the hub that the string is directly attached to? or both?

physgirl said:
I see, this is probably a dumb question but why did you go from Fr=I_total*alpha => F = I_total*a/r (that is, alpha to a?)
Why? Because we are trying to find "a", not alpha. Since the wheel/hub is connected to the hanging mass via the string, alpha can be related to "a" via: a = alpha*r (where r is the radius of the hub that the string wraps around).

and if you didn't mean to switch over... I know I'm supposed to be solving for acceleration, so how do i know what alpha is?
They are directly related. (See above.)

lastly... I don't really understand the concept of "I"... the mass and radius of what object is supposed to be involved...? is it everything that's involved in the whole system? or just the wheel that's actually doing the turning? or just the hub that the string is directly attached to? or both?
The whole thing turns as one piece, so you must use the "I" for the entire wheel/hub object--which is just the sum of I_wheel and I_hub.

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around an axis. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of rotating objects.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of a rotating object. It is a measure of how quickly the object's rotational speed is changing over time.

3. How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects that are rotating, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects that are moving in a straight line. The equations and concepts used in each branch of kinematics are specific to their respective types of motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of rotational kinematics?

Some examples of rotational kinematics in everyday life include the rotation of a spinning top, the movement of a Ferris wheel, and the spinning of a ceiling fan. In sports, rotational kinematics can be seen in the movement of a basketball being spun during a free throw, or in the rotation of a figure skater during a spin.

5. How is rotational acceleration calculated?

Rotational acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula α=Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.