Rotational Kinematics - Angular Acceleration

In summary, the question asks for the angular deceleration of a phonograph turntable with an initial angular velocity of 78 rpm, which continues turning for 40 rotations after being switched off. Using the equations for angular velocity and displacement, we find that the angular deceleration is -7.96 rad/s^2. However, the mistake may lie in the unit conversion, as the correct answer is 0.84 rad/s^2.
nx01

Homework Statement

A phonograph turntable with an initial angular velocity of 78 rpm continues turning for 40 rotations after being switched off. What is the angular deceleration of the turntable? Assume constant angular deceleration.

Homework Equations

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=([itex]\omega[/itex]-[itex]\omega[/itex]0)/t

θ-θ0=1/2([itex]\omega[/itex]0+[itex]\omega[/itex])t

The Attempt at a Solution

t = (40 rot - 0 rot) / 1/2(78 rpm + 0 rpm) = 40/39 min

[itex]\alpha[/itex] = (0 rpm - 78 rpm) / (40/39 min) = -76.05 rpm2

The answer needs to be in rad/s2

(-76.05 rpm2)(2∏ rad/rot)(min2/s2)=-7.96 rad/s2

The back of the book tells me this answer is incorrect. I would appreciate any insight into the error(s) I am making.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
sure you made the right unit convertion? I get 0.84 rad/s^2 is that what you needed? Else I think the mistake lies elsewhere.

Hi hjelmgart,

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that my error lies in the unit conversion - did you do what I did in the conversion in the original post, or something else?

Not entirely. I don't understand how you reached that result also. rpm = rev/min

(1/min)^2 = 1/(60min/s)^2

rev^2 = (2*Pi)^2

Likes 1 person
Ah, I wasn't squaring the seconds unit when converting. Thanks!

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects as they rotate around a fixed axis. It involves studying the relationship between an object's angular position, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is defined as the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

3. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation α = a/r, where α is angular acceleration, a is linear acceleration, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest. This means that as the distance from the axis of rotation increases, the linear acceleration decreases for the same amount of angular acceleration.

4. What is the difference between angular acceleration and angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, while angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. Angular velocity is represented by the symbol omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

5. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω1 and ω2 are the initial and final angular velocities, and t1 and t2 are the initial and final times, respectively.