1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics of a disc

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    How far has the disk moved?

Disk has .34m radius with a mass of 7.4. The angular acceleration about the center of mass is 100.2 rad/s2.

So this is what i did:
    ang. disp= .5(ang. accel)*t^2
    (x=.5(a)t^2 =>pretty much)

I got my ang. disp to be 84.669 rad. Now i need to convert it to meters.
    The circum. of the circle i got was 2.136 (2(pi)r= 2*3.1415*.34). so thats how far it goes in 1 revolution.

So i do 84.669rad* (1 rev/(2(pi) rad) * (2.136 m/ 1 rev)..... so (84.669*2.136)
    / (2(pi))

I got the answer to be 28.78 m...and when i checked it was wrong...no idea where i went wrong

Also the 2nd part of the question asks what is the translational speed of the disk... i have no idea what translational speed is or means. please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Were you given a value for time? Could you state the entire question as it was given to you?

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    A solid uniform disk of mass M = 7.4 kg and radius R = 34 cm rests with its flat surface on a frictionless table (i.e., the axis of the cylinder is perpendicular to the table.) The diagram shows a top view. A string is wrapped around the rim of the disk and a constant force of F = 126 N is applied to the string. The string does not slip on the rim.

a) What is the acceleration of the center of mass?
    a = m/s2 *
    17.03 OK

HELP: Draw a free-body diagram and apply Newton's Second Law.

b) What is the angular acceleration about the center of mass?
    a = rad/s2 *
    100.2 OK

HELP: Draw a free-body diagram, find the torque, and apply the rotational analog of Newton's 2nd Law.

The next 5 questions refer to a time 1.3 s after the force is first applied.
    c) How far has the disk moved?
    d = m
    28.783 NO

HELP: This is a problem in one-dimensional kinematics.
    HELP: We have a constant acceleration, so we can use our standard kinematics formulas to find out the distance traveled in a given time.

d) Through what angle has the disk turned?
    q = rad *
    84.669 OK

e) What is the translational speed of the disk?

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

I think you are missing a factor of two somewhere.

Translation in this case just means as it moves across the table.

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5
    missing a factor of 2? i dont know... like the math seems right. Maybe i am off by a little bit due to rounding error?

7. Nov 8, 2009 #6
    yes..where I= .5*m*r^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook