Rotational Kinematics of a turntable

In summary: Rad/s and the final velocity will be 8π Rad/s.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in an introductory calculus-based physics university course involving a uniform disk and a non-rotating rod dropped onto the disk. The problem is solved using conservation of angular momentum, with the final angular velocity being half of the initial velocity due to the doubling of mass. The possibility of using energy to solve the problem is also mentioned, but not applied due to lack of information about the rod. The summary also includes a breakdown of the solution and the use of moment of inertia in the solution.
ziggo
Good afternoon! I've been mulling over this question for a bit and I can't seem to understand what it is asking. This is a question for an introductory calculus-based physics university course.

1. The Problem:

A uniform disk, such as a record turntable, turns 8.0 rev/s around a frictionless spindle. A non-rotating rod of the same mass as the disk is dropped onto the freely spinning disk so that both turn around the spindle. Determine the angular velocity of the combination in rev/s.

2. Equations used:

I interpreted this as a conservation of angular momentum problem where the radius remains constant:

m r^2 ω = m(disc and rod) r ^2 ω(final)

3. The solution:

Since the radius remains constant and the mass doubles, both the mass and radius^2 can be removed from both sides leaving:

ω(initial) = 2ω(final)

and since the initial angular velocity was 16π Rad/s the final angular velocity would be 8π Rad/s.

Am I in the ballpark here assuming that this question is concerning the conservation of angular momentum? I don't see any other way to incorporate mass other than using Newton's laws, but I'm not sure on that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the radius of the rod and the disc necessarily equal?

The problem doesn't state it unfortunately.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to try solving it with energy, since the moments of inertia of a rod and a disc are different. Have you covered rotational kinetic energy yet?

Conservation of angular momentum gives
##m_dr_d^2\omega_0= \omega_1(m_dr_d^2+m_r r_r^2)## so ## \frac{\omega_0}{\omega_1}=\frac{I_d+I_r}{I_d}##. The subscripts are 'r' for the rod and 'd' for the disc and ##I## is a moment of inertia. I'm assuming the rod and the disc have ##I=mr^2/2##.

ryandaly said:
The first thing that comes to my mind is to try solving it with energy, since the moments of inertia of a rod and a disc are different. Have you covered rotational kinetic energy yet?

We have, but I'm not sure how to imply it in this case without any information concerning the rod other than that it has the same mass as the disc and it is now a part of the system.

Mentz114 said:
Conservation of angular momentum gives
##m_dr_d^2\omega_0= \omega_1(m_dr_d^2+m_r r_r^2)## so ## \frac{\omega_0}{\omega_1}=\frac{I_d+I_r}{I_d}##. The subscripts are 'r' for the rod and 'd' for the disc and ##I## is a moment of inertia. I'm assuming the rod and the disc have ##I=mr^2/2##.

This is a very good analysis of it, and this is what I would break it down as. I simply solved it for final angular velocity or "omega 1"

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis or pivot point. It involves studying the changes in position, velocity, and acceleration of a rotating object over time.

2. How does a turntable work?

A turntable uses a rotating platter to spin vinyl records at a constant speed, allowing a needle or stylus to track the grooves and produce sound. The platter is connected to a motor that rotates it at a specific speed, usually 33 1/3 or 45 rotations per minute (RPM).

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in a turntable?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. In a turntable, the linear velocity of the stylus on the record is directly proportional to the angular velocity of the platter.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a turntable?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In a turntable, the moment of inertia of the rotating platter affects the speed at which it can change its rotational velocity. A higher moment of inertia will result in a slower change in rotational speed, while a lower moment of inertia will allow for quicker changes in speed.

5. Can a turntable experience both translational and rotational motion?

Yes, a turntable can experience both translational and rotational motion. The platter rotates about its center axis, causing the record on top to also rotate. At the same time, the entire turntable can also move in a straight line, such as when it is being transported or moved by hand.