Rotational Kinetic Energy of Big Ben

In summary, the problem involves calculating the total rotational kinetic energy of the hour and minute hands of Big Ben, given their length, mass, and angular speed. The rotational inertia of each hand is also calculated using the formula for long, thin rods. However, there was an error in the calculation of the rotational inertia for the minute hand, which resulted in an incorrect final answer. Once the mistake was corrected, the problem was solved successfully.
Bashyboy
The problem I am working on is:

"Big Ben, the Parliament tower clock in London, has an hour hand 2.70 m long with a mass of 300 kg, and a minute hand 4.20 m long with a mass of 100 kg (see figure below). Calculate the total rotational kinetic energy of the two hands about the axis of rotation. (You may model the hands as long, thin rods rotated about one end. Assume the hour and minute hands are rotating at a constant rate of one revolution per 12 hours and 60 minutes, respectively.)"

(Converted) Angular Speed of Clock Hands:

Hour Hand [itex]1.45⋅10^{−4} rad/s[/itex]
Minute Hand [itex]1.75⋅10^{−3} rad/s[/itex]

Rotational Inertia:

Hour Hand [itex]I=1/3(300 kg)(2.70 m)^2=729 kg⋅m^2[/itex]
Minute Hand [itex]I=1/3(100 kg)(4.20 m)^2=243 kg⋅m^2[/itex]

Rotational Kinetic Energy:

[itex]K_{rot}=1/2(729 kg⋅m^2)(1.45⋅10^{−4} rad/s)^2+1/2(243 kg⋅m^2)(1.75⋅10^{−3} rad/s)^2[/itex]

When I calculate this, it comes out incorrect, what has happened?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Minute Hand [itex]I=1/3(100 kg)(4.20 m)2=243 kg⋅m^2[/itex]

Check this.

It worked with the corrected value! Thank you so much!

The rotational inertia of the minute hand is [itex]I=588~kg\cdot m^2[/itex]

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around a fixed axis. It is a form of kinetic energy, which is the energy of an object in motion.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is K = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where K is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational kinetic energy of Big Ben?

The moment of inertia of Big Ben is significant in determining its rotational kinetic energy. As a large and complex object, Big Ben has a relatively large moment of inertia, meaning it requires a significant amount of energy to rotate at a certain speed.

5. Can the rotational kinetic energy of Big Ben be changed?

Yes, the rotational kinetic energy of Big Ben can be changed by altering its angular velocity. This can be done by applying a force to the clock's mechanism, which will change its rotational speed and therefore its kinetic energy.