Rotational motion and finding the moment of inertia

In summary, the problem is that the author does not know how to find the moment of inertia of a ball rolling down a slope. They use the conservation of energy to calculate the kinetic and linear energy, but they need to know the angular velocity to calculate the moment of inertia.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Find the moment of inertia
Relevant Equations
PE = mgh
KE tran = 1/2mv^2
Here is the problem that I am finding difficult to answer

Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 16.13.02.png

I had tried using conservation of energy to do this question

Where I know that the gravitational potential energy at the top of the slope equals to the sum of both the linear and rotational kinetic energy at the bottom of the slope.

Hence which is why I written down this, in where I then rearrange for I (moment of inertia). However upon doing this, I realize I have an unknown which is omega (angular velocity). How would I work out omega so I then find the moment of inertia of the ball?

IMG_3506.JPG

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You make use of the given that 'the ball rolled' (i.e. it did not slip) !

BvU said:
You make use of the given that 'the ball rolled' (i.e. it did not slip) !

So is finding angular velocity as simple as dividing the linear velocity by the ball's radius
I have done that to get my angular velocity to be 266.667 rad/s

Then plugging in all the values I need from before, I get I = 1.94 x 10^-5 kg/m^2 (3 sig figs)

IMG_3508.JPG

Is this alright?

Bolter said:
So is finding angular velocity as simple as dividing the linear velocity by the ball's radius
I have done that to get my angular velocity to be 266.667 rad/s

Then plugging in all the values I need from before, I get I = 1.94 x 10^-5 kg/m^2 (3 sig figs)

View attachment 254367

Is this alright?
Looks right.

haruspex said:
Looks right.

Thanks for checking. Appreciate it!

I agree with your result. There is one snag, however:
For a massive sphere, ##I = {2\over 5}\,mr^2##; for a hollow sphere, ##I = {2\over 3}\,mr^2##. Most you can have is ##I = mr^2## (all the mass at distance ##r##, like for a ring).

Our ##I = 1.94 \ 10^{-5}## kg m2 would be 1.15 ##mr^2\qquad## o0)

I suspect an error by the exercise composer ...

Likes Bolter
BvU said:
I agree with your result. There is one snag, however:
For a massive sphere, ##I = {2\over 5}\,mr^2##; for a hollow sphere, ##I = {2\over 3}\,mr^2##. Most you can have is ##I = mr^2## (all the mass at distance ##r##, like for a ring).

Our ##I = 1.94 \ 10^{-5}## kg m2 would be 1.15 ##mr^2\qquad## o0)

I suspect an error by the exercise composer ...

Ah yes that is true. I’ll definitely take note of that :)

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point. It is different from linear motion, which involves movement in a straight line, because rotational motion involves circular or curved movement.

2. What is the moment of inertia and how is it related to rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is directly related to an object's mass and distribution of mass relative to its axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for simple shapes like a sphere or cylinder?

For simple shapes, the moment of inertia can be calculated using specific formulas. For example, the moment of inertia for a solid sphere is 2/5 x mass x radius squared, while the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder is 1/2 x mass x radius squared. These formulas take into account the mass and distribution of mass for each shape.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational speed and acceleration?

The moment of inertia directly affects an object's rotational speed and acceleration. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will rotate more slowly for a given applied torque, and will require more torque to achieve the same rotational speed as an object with a smaller moment of inertia. Additionally, objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a slower rate of acceleration when a constant torque is applied.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed for an object?

The moment of inertia for an object is determined by its mass and distribution of mass, so it can be changed by altering either of these factors. For example, the moment of inertia for a rod can be increased by adding mass to one end, or decreased by moving the mass closer to the axis of rotation. In addition, the shape of an object can also affect its moment of inertia, so changing the shape can also change the moment of inertia.