Rotational Motion: Momentum Conservation

In summary, we discussed the motion of a solid sphere on a rough horizontal surface with a linear speed v and an angular speed v/r. We found the linear speed of the sphere when it stops rotating and when slipping ceases, using basic angular momentum equations. We also touched on the vector nature of angular velocity and momentum, and discussed the direction of the torque and angular momentum in different cases.
Prannoy Mehta

Homework Statement

A solid sphere is set into motion on a rough horizontal surface with a linear speed v in the forward direction and angular speed v/r in the anticlockwise direction. Find the linear speed of the sphere when:

a) When it stops rotating
b) when slipping ceases

Homework Equations

Basic Angular Momentum based equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I imagined it moving as described. Since the floor is rough a torque will be acted by the floor which acts in the backward direction. Causing the angular velocity to reduce. The velocity of the centre of mass remains intact. So applying angular momentum for case (i) Where v' is the velocity of the centre of mass.

a) mvr + 2/5 mrv = mv'r (Iw = 2/5mvr)
v' = 7v/5

Now the friction acts to the torque to increase the angular velocity in the clockwise direction till pure rolling is achieved. So now when achieved the sphere is rolling clockwise, and the velocity remains in the positive direction.

b) mvr + 2/5 mrv = mv'r - 2/5mv'r (Iw = 2/5mvr)
v' = 7v/3

The answer for (a) is 3v/5 and (b) is 3v/7. If you could explain my mistakes it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have some sign errors in your equations for (a) and (b). It might help to state the location of the point that you are choosing as the origin for the purpose of calculating the angular momentum.

TSny said:
You have some sign errors in your equations for (a) and (b). It might help to state the location of the point that you are choosing as the origin for the purpose of calculating the angular momentum.
I don't get it. My origin can be taken as any fixed point which lies at the left of the sphere during the shifting of anticlockwise to clockwise rotation.

Is my concept flawed or are my sign convention. Could you explain why they are wrong?

Prannoy Mehta said:
I don't get it. My origin can be taken as any fixed point which lies at the left of the sphere during the shifting of anticlockwise to clockwise rotation.
Do you mean any fixed point on the floor along the line of motion? If so, OK.

Is my concept flawed or are my sign convention. Could you explain why they are wrong?
For the initial time, how would you describe the direction of the angular momentum due to the linear motion of the center of mass of the sphere? How would you describe the direction of the angular momentum due to the rotation of the sphere about the center of mass?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Oh well, initially the ball is simply set into motion. With it rotating anticlockwise the velocity is perpendicular (Outside the page or + z axis, if a 2D diagram of the sphere is drawn as suggested) to the velocity of the centre of mass being in the +x axis. I guess that's what you asked :/. Anyhow, in the second case the velocity is perpendicular (Into the page -z axis) to the velocity of the centre of mass being in the +x axis as earlier.

I am not sure if this is what you wished to know :/

I'm not sure if you have covered the vector definition of angular momentum. If so, you should be able to specify the direction of the angular momentum vector associated with the linear motion of the center of mass of the sphere.

But, we can avoid that and just use clockwise and anticlockwise for directions of angular momentum. So, my question is the following. What is the direction of the angular momentum term mvr [associated with the linear motion v of the sphere]? Is it clockwise or anticlockwise?

Prannoy Mehta said:
Now I imagined it moving as described. Since the floor is rough a torque will be acted by the floor which acts in the backward direction. Causing the angular velocity to reduce.

Think about it, in what direction should the torque act as to produce a counter-clockwise angular velocity?

mvr is the angular momentum of the entire sphere (assumed to sum up to one point) from the point where it touches the ground. mvr is clockwise and I just got my answer. Thank you so much. It was very silly of me. Thank you.

I have not yet understood the part where angular velocity is a vector. I know it is there as the text recommended mentions a formulae v (vector) = w ( vector) x r(vector). Could you suggest me something I can comprehend and which could increase the grasp of the concept? I don't want to dig in too deep right now but would also like to learn.

faradayscat said:
Think about it, in what direction should the torque act as to produce a counter-clockwise angular velocity?
The sphere is already moving counter clockwise. The frictional force will go against this rolling motion as the bottom of the sphere tends to move with a velocity v unlike perfect rolling. Friction will oppose the change and hence create a torque in the clockwise direction. Hence the torque reduces the angular velocity. (It will become negative and stop after perfect rolling is achieved. )

Prannoy Mehta said:
mvr is the angular momentum of the entire sphere (assumed to sum up to one point) from the point where it touches the ground. mvr is clockwise and I just got my answer.
Good!
I have not yet understood the part where angular velocity is a vector. I know it is there as the text recommended mentions a formulae v (vector) = w ( vector) x r(vector). Could you suggest me something I can comprehend and which could increase the grasp of the concept? I don't want to dig in too deep right now but would also like to learn.
This is probably not the place to try to give a mini-lecture on the vector nature of angular velocity and angular momentum. However, if you wish to study what your text has on this topic and you then have some questions, you can post your questions here at the forum (starting a new thread).

Prannoy Mehta said:
The sphere is already moving counter clockwise. The frictional force will go against this rolling motion as the bottom of the sphere tends to move with a velocity v unlike perfect rolling. Friction will oppose the change and hence create a torque in the clockwise direction. Hence the torque reduces the angular velocity. (It will become negative and stop after perfect rolling is achieved. )

Ah, my bad, you're right!

TSny said:
Good!

This is probably not the place to try to give a mini-lecture on the vector nature of angular velocity and angular momentum. However, if you wish to study what your text has on this topic and you then have some questions, you can post your questions here at the forum (starting a new thread).

Ah, fine thank you. I will post in the forums if I have any further queries.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is characterized by the rotation of an object about its own axis, rather than the linear movement of an object from one point to another.

2. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a closed system, the initial momentum and the final momentum will be equal.

3. How is momentum conserved in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, momentum is conserved through the conservation of angular momentum. This means that as long as there are no external torques acting on the system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.

4. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's motion around an axis. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, while angular momentum is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

5. How is rotational motion related to everyday life?

Rotational motion is present in many everyday activities, such as riding a bike, playing sports, and opening a door. It is also important in the functioning of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes. Understanding rotational motion helps us understand and improve the efficiency and safety of these activities and technologies.