Rotational Motion of a toy airplane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
SChiO
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We were given a video...I'm not sure if you can post video links otherwise I would...but it's a video of an airplane on a string flying in a circular motion. On the top of the string you can see that the tension of the string is 6.5N. and it is flying at an angle of 50°. We are told to find the angular velocity, mass of plane and length of string.


The Attempt at a Solution



Using ω=2pi(period) I found it to be 5.28 m/s with a period of 1.19s/rev
Using Newton's 2nd law and knowing that the force of gravity is equal to the y-component of the tension force I found the mass to be equal to .42 kg.
However I am stuck on finding the length of the string...I have an idea that I need to find the radius of the circle and then from there I know I can find the length of the string but I'm not sure how to find the radius. I'm thinking to use this equation: v=rω but I'm not sure how to find the linear velocity or if that's even right...HELP PLEASE! I'll see if I can post the video for ease...Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SChiO said:

Homework Statement



We were given a video...I'm not sure if you can post video links otherwise I would...but it's a video of an airplane on a string flying in a circular motion. On the top of the string you can see that the tension of the string is 6.5N. and it is flying at an angle of 50°. We are told to find the angular velocity, mass of plane and length of string.
You can post links to a video - but it is best to give a written description anyway.
Is that 50deg angle to the horizontal or the vertical?
Using ω=2pi(period) I found it to be 5.28 m/s with a period of 1.19s/rev
Just a note - the units of ##\omega## is radiens per second. Since you were "given the angular velocity" I'm guessing you mean that the tangential velocity was 5.28m/s.
"Period" is usually just given in seconds.

Using Newton's 2nd law and knowing that the force of gravity is equal to the y-component of the tension force I found the mass to be equal to .42 kg.

However I am stuck on finding the length of the string...I have an idea that I need to find the radius of the circle and then from there I know I can find the length of the string but I'm not sure how to find the radius.
Hint: centripetal force and acceleration.