1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion of a toy airplane

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We were given a video....I'm not sure if you can post video links otherwise I would...but it's a video of an airplane on a string flying in a circular motion. On the top of the string you can see that the tension of the string is 6.5N. and it is flying at an angle of 50°. We are told to find the angular velocity, mass of plane and length of string.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using ω=2pi(period) I found it to be 5.28 m/s with a period of 1.19s/rev
    Using Newton's 2nd law and knowing that the force of gravity is equal to the y-component of the tension force I found the mass to be equal to .42 kg.
    However I am stuck on finding the length of the string.......I have an idea that I need to find the radius of the circle and then from there I know I can find the length of the string but I'm not sure how to find the radius. I'm thinking to use this equation: v=rω but I'm not sure how to find the linear velocity or if that's even right.......HELP PLEASE!! I'll see if I can post the video for ease...Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can post links to a video - but it is best to give a written description anyway.
    Is that 50deg angle to the horizontal or the vertical?
    Just a note - the units of ##\omega## is radiens per second. Since you were "given the angular velocity" I'm guessing you mean that the tangential velocity was 5.28m/s.
    "Period" is usually just given in seconds.

Hint: centripetal force and acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted