1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion of belt drive

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm just working through a few past mechanics papers and this question came up:

A belt drives the circumference of a cylindrical wheel of radius R and mass M with
    no slipping. The tension in the belt is T. Friction in the wheel bearing causes an
    effective torque N to act on the wheel.
    (i) If the velocity of the belt is constant, what is T in terms of N.
    (ii) The bearing is lubricated removing all significant friction and the velocity of
    the belt then increases with a uniform acceleration a. Write down T in terms of
    M, R, and a.

I'd be greatful if someone could just check through my solutions so that i'm sure doing things correctly.

2. Relevant equations

I=0.5mR^2 for disc
    v=wr
    L=I(dw/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) T=N .

(ii) v=wR implies dw/dt = a/R .

Therefore TR = 0.5MR^2 * (a/R) ,

and so T = 0.5Ma .

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

One thing I immediately noticed. In [tex]T \neq N[/tex] Why? because this is saying that Force is equal to torque. Surely you know the relationship between torque and force.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3

Ah yeah woops! Should be T=N/R ?

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook