Rotational Plus Translational Motion for Sphere of Yarn

In summary, we have a solid sphere with a mass of 76.2 kg and a radius of 0.211 m, with a girl holding onto a massless string wrapped around its equator. When the sphere is released from rest and reaches an angular speed of 28.6 rad/s, the length of the string that has been unwound can be calculated using either conservation of energy or considering forces and torques. Using the formula KE = 1/2*I*ω^2, the work done on the sphere is 555J. Dividing this by the tension of the string, which is equal to the weight of the sphere (748N), gives us a length of 0.742 m unwound.
sweetpete28
A massless string is wrapped around the equator of a solid sphere (mass M = 76.2 kg, radius R = 0.211 m). A girl holds the free end of the string, and the sphere is released from rest, Assume:
- the sphere is always parallel to the floor
- the string is always perpendicular to the radius of the sphere
- the string does not slip over the sphere

What is the length of the string that has been unwound when the sphere reaches an angular speed ω = 28.6 rad/s?

Can someone please help? Here is what I did but answer is wrong:

v = ωr = 6.0346 m/s

vf^2 = v0^2 + 2as
s = 1.86 m

1.86 = 1/2at^2
t= .615s

.615s * 28.6 = 17.59

17.59 * .211 = 3.7...but this wrong...please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sweetpete28! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
sweetpete28 said:
v = ωr = 6.0346 m/s

vf^2 = v0^2 + 2as
s = 1.86 m

you're assuming that a = g

what about the tension? :wink:

Ohhh

You're right! Tension would = mg since it does not fall...right? So there is 0 acceleration.

I know θ(t) multiplied by radius r will give me length string has been unwound...but how do I get what t equals? I'm still stuck...

If mg is tension = 748 N and work done on sphere is 555J once it reaches 28.6 rad/s angular velocity...can I divide 555J by 748N to get length unwound since F times d = Work??

Which would give answer of 555/748 = .742 m?

hi sweetpete28! :smile:
sweetpete28 said:
Ohhh

You're right! Tension would = mg since it does not fall...right? So there is 0 acceleration.

nooo, of course it accelerates, but at less than g

either call the tension T, and consider forces and torques,

or (probably easier) use conservation of energy :wink:

If mg is tension = 748 N and work done on sphere is 555J once it reaches 28.6 rad/s angular velocity...can I divide 555J by 748N to get length unwound since F times d = Work?? (I used KE = 1/2MIω^2 to get work done on sphere = 555J).

Which would give answer of 555/748 = .742 m?

1. What is rotational plus translational motion for a sphere of yarn?

Rotational plus translational motion refers to the movement of a sphere of yarn as it spins on its axis and also moves through space. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects such as a spinning top or a rolling ball.

2. How does rotational plus translational motion affect the shape of a sphere of yarn?

The combination of rotational and translational motion causes a sphere of yarn to have a spherical shape. As it spins on its axis, the yarn is pulled outwards due to centrifugal force, creating a round shape.

3. What factors affect the rotational plus translational motion of a sphere of yarn?

The rotational plus translational motion of a sphere of yarn is affected by various factors such as the mass and density of the yarn, the speed at which it is spinning, and any external forces acting upon it.

4. How does friction play a role in the rotational plus translational motion of a sphere of yarn?

Friction can affect the rotational plus translational motion of a sphere of yarn by slowing down its movement and causing it to eventually come to a stop. This is due to the resistance between the yarn and the surface it is rolling on.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotational plus translational motion for a sphere of yarn?

Some examples of rotational plus translational motion for a sphere of yarn include a ball of yarn rolling on the floor, a spinning top, and a yarn-wrapped object being thrown and rolling on the ground.