1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translational and rotational kinetic energy-Mass Unknown

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    A hollow, thin-walled sphere (ICM = 2MR2/3) of mass 20 kg is completely filled with a liquid of unknown mass. The sphere is released at the top of a plane inclined at 30° to the horizontal, and it rolls 20 m to the bottom in 3.6 s. What is the mass of the liquid?

2.My approach is translational and rotational kinetic energy, first off. I know that for rolling spheres the v-cm is not dependent upon the mass nor radius of the objects. So I come up with a translational speed but I'm not certain where to go from there. But the problem wants the mass of the liquid. I have two different sphere's in theory, a solid and a thin-walled version.

3. Looking for a lead into the next step...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Crusader711! :smile:
    for a particular shape, yes
    But you're given the moment of inertia anyway.

Since we're not told the radius of the sphere, I think we're supposed to assume that the liquid does not rotate.

So find the acceleration, call the mass of the liquid "m", and carry on from there. :smile:

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3
    Rolling verses Frictionless

Would we treat the spheres differently?

thin-walled sphere rolling...

...then solid sphere with liquid, liquid sphere moving down incline (not rolling), but we have to account for the ICM of the thin-walled shell too?

Any thoughts?

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz:)

i assume "ICM" means moment of inertia?

you are given the moment of inertia and the mass, why do you need to know anything else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted