Acceleration and velocity of a mass attached to a sphere

In summary: Glad to hear it!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a homogeneous wooden sphere, a metal bar, and a suspended mass attached to a massless string. The moment of inertia of the system is calculated, and the acceleration and velocity of the mass are determined using Newton's laws and conservation of energy. The consistency of the solutions is checked in various limits.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! Still checking my comprehension of physics, and hopefully those posts will help other users!

A homogeneous wooden sphere with mass M and radius R rotates about a perpendicular axis going through its center of mass. At the top of this axis is a homogeneous metal bar of length 2R and of same mass M. A massless string is rolled around the ball (see attached picture) and on its other end goes through a wheel and has a suspended mass attached to it. There is no friction.
a) calculate the moment of inertia of the system wooden ball-metal bar regarding its rotation axis. The bar should be considered as infinitely thin. The moment of inertia of a sphere is JK = (2/5)MR2.
b) what is the acceleration of the mass m in the field of gravity of Earth?
c) what is the velocity of the mass m when it has gone down a distance h?

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia, torque, Newton 2nd and 3rd laws, conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Though it is not the hardest problem, I find the calculations messy and the risk of missing something high. Here is what I've done:

a) First I calculate the moment of inertia of the bar:

JS = (1/12)M(2R)2 = ⅓⋅MR2
⇒ Jtotal = (2/5 + ⅓)MR2 = (11/15)MR2

Im pretty sure I can add the moments of inertia that way since they have the same axis of rotation, right?

b) By Newton's 3rd law I know that the force of tension of the string on the mass is equal to the force of tension of the string on the sphere. I try to find an expression for T using the torque and the angular acceleration:

Στ = T⋅R
⇒ α = Στ/J = 15T/11M

The angular acceleration is also equal to tangential acceleration/radius aT/R, and in that case aT = a (the acceleration of the suspended mass):

⇒15T/11M = a/R ⇒ T = 11aR/15M

I plug that into the Newton's 2nd law:

a = ΣF/m = g - 11a⋅m⋅R/15M
a = g/(1 + 11m⋅R/15M)

c) For that part I set up an equation of conservation of energy. I assume that the system starts at rest:

m⋅g⋅h = ½⋅m⋅v2 + ½⋅J⋅ω2

Is that correct? I have a little doubt about the rotational energy.

Then I substitute ω by v/R. Here again I have a little doubt: I allow myself this substitution because I think the velocity of the string at the sphere should be the same as the velocity at the mass. Anyway that gives me for the velocity:

v = √(2⋅m⋅g⋅h/(m + 11M/15))

What do you guys think? It's always a bit tricky not to misjudge such a situation..Thank you in advance for your answers!Julien.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:
JS = (1/12)M(2R)2 = ⅓⋅MR2
⇒ Jtotal = (2/5 + ⅓)MR2 = (11/15)MR2

Im pretty sure I can add the moments of inertia that way since they have the same axis of rotation, right?
Yes. Jtotal looks good.

b) By Newton's 3rd law I know that the force of tension of the string on the mass is equal to the force of tension of the string on the sphere. I try to find an expression for T using the torque and the angular acceleration:

Στ = T⋅R
⇒ α = Στ/J = 15T/11M
If you mean M to be in the denominator, then you should use parentheses: 15T/(11M). However, this expression is not correct as you can tell by the dimensions. Did you get all the factors of R taken care of?
a = g/(1 + 11m⋅R/15M)
Again, you can check the dimensions of the last term in parentheses and see that this cannot be correct. Is little m equal to big M? If so, you can simplify.

Your work for (c) looks good to me. Again, you can simplify if m = M. You can also check whether or not the answer for (c) is consistent with (b) by using the acceleration to find the final v.

Likes JulienB
TSny said:
If you mean M to be in the denominator, then you should use parentheses: 15T/(11M). However, this expression is not correct as you can tell by the dimensions. Did you get all the factors of R taken care of?

Again, you can check the dimensions of the last term in parentheses and see that this cannot be correct. Is little m equal to big M? If so, you can simplify.

@TSny Thank you for your answer. I've reviewed the calculations and I indeed forgot a factor R. I now get T = (11/15)a⋅M and therefore a = g/(1 + 11M/(15m)). I believe the units are consistent this time.

Unfortunately as far as I know m ≠ M, so I cannot simplify any further, but the R I forgot already simplified the expression a little bit since it does not depend on it anymore.Julien.

OK. Your answers look right to me. You can check some limits to see if it makes sense. If M goes to zero, what is a? If M goes to infinity, what is a? If m goes to zero, what is a? If m goes to infinity, what is a?

Likes JulienB
@TSny thanks I'm always fond of ways to check the consistency of an answer!

- if M goes to 0, then the acceleration is g. Makes sense since the mass m would not be held back by anything then.
- if M goes to infinity, the acceleration goes to 0. Makes also sense since m would then be held back by a much heavier mass.
- if m goes to 0, the acceleration also goes to 0. There is no more mass on which to apply the force of gravity,
- if m goes to infinity, a also goes to infinity. The force of gravity being applied onto an infinitely heavy mass, that also makes sense.

That's great! I will make sure I use those instinctive methods of verification during my exams!Julien.

Great!

Likes JulienB

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change of position over time. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity changes, while velocity measures how quickly an object's position changes.

2. How is acceleration and velocity related to a mass attached to a sphere?

The acceleration and velocity of a mass attached to a sphere are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the mass attached to the sphere will experience both acceleration and velocity as it moves due to the force of gravity.

3. Can acceleration and velocity change over time for a mass attached to a sphere?

Yes, both acceleration and velocity can change over time for a mass attached to a sphere. This is due to the fact that the force of gravity acting on the mass will cause it to accelerate and change its velocity as it moves.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration and velocity of a mass attached to a sphere?

To calculate the acceleration of a mass attached to a sphere, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object. The velocity can be calculated by integrating the acceleration over time.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration and velocity of a mass attached to a sphere?

The main factor that affects the acceleration and velocity of a mass attached to a sphere is the force of gravity. Other factors that can affect these values include the mass of the object, the radius of the sphere, and any external forces acting on the object.