Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational universe without dark energy and dark matter?

Tags:
  1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    I found an interesting paper...

Dark Energy and Dark Matter as Inertial Effects

A globally rotating model of the universe is postulated. It is shown that dark energy and dark matter are cosmic inertial effects resulting from such a cosmic rotation, corresponding to centrifugal and a combination of centrifugal and the Coriolis forces, respectively. The physics and the cosmological and galactic parameters obtained from the model closely match those attributed to dark energy and dark matter in the standard Lambda-CDM model.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.3021.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I have looked over the paper " Dark Energy and Dark Matter as Inertial Effects" by Serkan Zorba. My first impression is "WOW!". I'm not qualified to evaluate the technical details, however. Is it possible this one man has figured out how to explain away Dark Matter and, at the same time, show why our observable universe's expansion appears to be accelerating? This would be revolutionary! Hoping some of our expert members here will contribute their assessments.

4. Feb 14, 2014 #3
    The rotating universe would be a natural explanation for dark energy, and explains why rotating galaxies, stars and planets in the universe...

5. Feb 14, 2014 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

It's possible. But this one is not the man.

A universe rotating around any axis would not be isotropic, so that discredits it right off the bat.

Furthermore, it looks like the article has not been reviewed and published in any reputable scientific journal, so it shouldn't be even discussed on this forum as per the rules.

6. Feb 14, 2014 #5

JesseM

Science Advisor

Technically the Godel metric isn't rotating around any specific axis--no matter where you are you'll see the rest of the universe rotating around you in exactly the same way, so it's spatially homogenous, though you're correct that it's non-isotropic (the universe looks the same at every point, but at every point there is a preferred direction, the axis of rotation at that point). This page has a good basic description:
    The paper in the OP seems to be using something akin to the Godel model (though probably not identical, since the Godel metric describes an eternal rotating universe whereas I think the paper still assumes a Big Bang):

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6
    Interesting paper, however I agree with Bapowell and JesseM, on the isotropy issue.

8. Feb 14, 2014 #7
    I thought there were already some geometric models where a true universal rotation of four-dimensional hyper-spaces produced a universal hyperbolic non-rotating flat expansion in all possible three-dimensional sub-spaces, or something like that...?

9. Feb 14, 2014 #8
    There are other similar models, Poploksii's torsion/spin model where we are inside the EH of a black hole bears similarities. As mentioned the Godel universe is also a rotating universe, however its usually static, there have been attempts such as this one to define a non static with the Godel metrics.

All the above models as well as the one presented in this paper, failed at one key aspect.

none of the mentioned articles have a means to explain the early large scale structure formation. The LCDM model shows that dark matter allows the early large scale structure formation. Without DM or similar mechanism, structures would form much later

10. May 7, 2016 #9
    This needs to be supported. Is there a reference?

11. May 8, 2016 #10
    This thread is over two years old lol. Nonetheless here is one such paper that shows how dark matter supports early structure formation. (Though probably not the one I recall from two years ago)

"Our analysis shows that high-density peaks of the den-
    sity field are present already at the very early stage of the
    evolution of the structure. Recent numerical studies show
    that the formation of first generation stars starts just in-
    side these high-density peaks. The density is highest in
    protohalos of central clusters of future rich superclusters.
    Simulations by Gao et al. [17] have shown that metal-
    free gas in dark matter haloes of virial temperature about
    2000 K and mass M ∼ 106 M⊙ cools efficiently, thus giv-
    ing rise to formation of stars. In these high-density re-
    gions star formation can start as early as at the redshift
    z ≈ 50. These first generation stars have large masses and
    evolve rapidly, and at least some of them may explode
    and spread products of nuclear synthesis to the surround-
    ing “pure” gas.
    CO"

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://a...GngM_w&usg=AFQjCNFu1IkAm7lSbFf2kGbx8v0PNfvhJg

12. May 8, 2016 #11
    There was a paper on arxiv that compared DM models to other cosmologies in regards to LSS formation. I might be able to dig it up but I haven't read it in over two years.

Here is another similar study.

All observations together clearly rule out the simplest model of a purely baryonic
    universe with density parameter Ω ∼ 0.1 and adiabatic initial fluctuations (either
    the initial perturbations are too large to satisfy CMB limits, or they are too small
    to develop into the observed large scale structure).

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://a...61WTfA&usg=AFQjCNFZcW_0XnMU5KF6p6cZZgxU6i_Ygg

13. May 8, 2016 #12

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for moderation.

Edit: since the thread is old and is attracting speculation we will leave it closed

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook