1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Route from physics to pure maths?

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Assuming I finish my study with a BSc or MSc, what are your ideas on the best way to move into more pure maths? I was thinking that getting employed by a company and working out a way for them to pay for it would be good idea, but even so which courses are probably the best? Would I have to return to do undergraduate courses?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why would a company pay you to do pure math??

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    The same reason they sponsor you to do a course in the first place? Albiet it would have to be related, but I can think a few which overlap the two a lot. But it's really the route that I was wondering if anyone knows much about :D

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't really see any company paying somebody to learn abstract algebra...

Ok. So, what math do you already know. What courses have you taken. If we know that, we can comment on your next steps.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    Well I'm assuming that most physics courses do about the same amount of maths alongside them, but so far, essentially everything inside this table of contents: http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item1162976/?site_locale=en_GB

1. Preliminary algebra
    2. Preliminary calculus
    3. Complex numbers and hyperbolic functions
    4. Series and limits
    5. Partial differentiation
    6. Multiple integrals
    7. Vector algebra
    8. Matrices and vector spaces
    9. Normal modes
    10. Vector calculus
    11. Line, surface and volume integrals
    12. Fourier series
    13. Integral transforms
    14. First-order ordinary differential equations
    15. Higher-order ordinary differential equations
    16. Series solutions of ordinary differential equations
    17. Eigenfunction methods for differential equations
    18. Special functions
    19. Quantum operators
    20. Partial differential equations: general and particular
    21. Partial differential equations: separation of variables
    22. Calculus of variations
    23. Integral equations
    24. Complex variables
    25. Application of complex variables
    26. Tensors
    27. Numerical methods
    28. Group theory
    29. Representation theory
    30. Probability
    31. Statistics

Minus a lot of its derivation.

Thanks!

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, cool. Is there anything specific in pure math that you would like to learn??

Anyway, I think it might be best to learn some (very basic) things about mathematical logic and proofs first. You got to know how to do proofs before you can study other pure math topics.

You absolutely won't need to repeat an entire undergrad, you'll just need to take the upper division courses. Things like topology, analysis and abstract algebra come to mind. But it depends a lot on what your eventual goal is.

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7
    Honestly the mathematical logic and proofs is the part that I wanted to do anyway, my goal is just to properly have a mathematical basis for all of the methods I'm using and to be able to understand more abstract maths for personal interest. I could maybe start off with a course with logic and proofs in then? Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook