Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rules of Parity and Charge Conjugation Parity

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    I have two related questions to ask relating to statements found in introductory particle physics textbooks.

The first is that the "Dirac equation predicts fermions/anti-fermions have opposite intrinsic parity".
    I have attempted to verify this by applying the parity transformation to free particle Dirac spinors using an explicit choice of representation. I find that it is true provided the particles are at rest but otherwise, they are not in a state of definite parity. This doesn't seem consistent with the quotation.

The second statement is that "fermion-antifermion pairs with total orbital angular momentum number L and total spin S, have a parity factor (-1)^(L+S) when interchanged". There is some reference to a minus sign appearing upon the interchange of antifermion with fermion which I have not been able to justify. Could anyone show me a detailed explanation of this factor please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2

Science Advisor

That's correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted