Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running old carmageddon on windows 7 64-bit?

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    I downloaded a free version of the first carmageddon game and apparently it is only compatible with Windows XP service pack 2.

I am running windows 7 64-bit.

I've read that there is a trick to getting it to work.

Could anyone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    An alternate route would be to get virtualbox and just use windows xp sp2 if you have a copy laying around of sp2.

Now I want to play Carmageddon, I was supposed to get something done today!

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    I have DOSBOX but I don't know how to use it. Someone told me that DOSBOX was the key to getting carmageddon to run on my OS.

6. Oct 18, 2012 #5
    Yeah DOSBOX is the way to go but I haven't used it as a standalone solution. A while back I bought a few old DOS games from GameFly and they packaged DOSBOX into the EXE package which made running the game real easy.

7. Oct 18, 2012 #6
    Could you perhaps walk me through this?

I have no idea how to use DOSBOX.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. Oct 18, 2012 #7
    What I'm saying is that DOSBOX loaded when you ran the game program. It was packaged in. There was nothing to do.

You can buy this packaged option, but it will be $10
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/carmageddon_max_pack

9. Oct 19, 2012 #8
    Oh.

I installed a free downloadable version of carmageddon on my ipad. Although the graphics aren't that great and the controls are iffy. It would be nice if I could play it on my computer instead.

I do have an old laptop that runs windows XP. I might be able to play it on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook