Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ryder QFT 2nd ed. page 341 misprint?

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    Eq. 9.124 has 3 steps. The first one gives 0 propagator for ε goes to 0. The final step, the one with Z gives infinity. Can anyone post the correct steps? Is there anything wrong in previews equations? It is important for me to learn the Ryder's book method. I have an exam in 10 days

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I do not understand, where you have a problem here. Of course, the one-loop polarization tensor (photon selfenergy) is UV divergent. In Ryder's regularization scheme (dimensional regularization) this manifests itself in the fact that there's a term [itex]\propto 1/\epsilon[/itex] which diverges for the physical value [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Thus you need a counter term to compensate (at least) this divergency, and as Ryder nicely shows, this counter term leads to a photon-field renormalization. At the end everything is finite by expressing physical quantities in terms of the finite dressed wave functions, masses, and couplings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook