Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S-matrix structure of the lightest particle

1. Nov 22, 2014 #1
    If you have a particle that is the lightest particle, then it cannot decay into other particles. As a consequence of this, its T-matrix amplitude on-shell should be zero, since the S-matrix is S=1+iT, and the amplitude for the particle to be found with the same quantum numbers and momentum is 1 since it can't decay, so T=0. The T-matrix in this case should be the self-energy of the particle. So you should always have [itex] \Pi(p^2=m^2)=0 [/itex]. But what if you choose a different renormalization scheme so that [itex] \Pi(p^2=m^2) \neq 0 [/itex]? Then the S-matrix doesn't seem like it can be equal to 1, since this is the lightest particle, so the T-matrix should always be real on-shell, so that S=1+imaginary number, and the amplitude of this is greater than 1.

Unitarity requires:

$$
    - \text{Im} \, \Pi (i \leftarrow i)=\sum_n (2 \pi)^4 \delta^4(P_{ni})(\Pi_n \frac{1}{\rho^2})F (n \leftarrow i)^* F (n \leftarrow i)
    $$

In this formula, [itex]n[/itex] are all on-shell intermediate states of all possible particles, and [itex]\rho [/itex] are normalization factors of these particles, and [itex]F [/itex] are Feynman amplitudes. Since this is the lightest particle and can't decay, only when [itex]n=i[/itex], [itex]F \rightarrow -i \Pi(p^2=m^2)[/itex] does the RHS contribute. This seems to imply that if the self-energy is not equal to zero on-shell, then the RHS is non-zero, so the imaginary part of the self-energy on the LHS can be non-zero on-shell. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course, you also have to renormalize the wave function. The physical mass of the particle is always defined by the pole of the corresponding single-particle propagator (one-particle Green's function).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook