Fermi's Golden Rule and the S-matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Fermi's golden rule in predicting decay rates and scattering cross-sections. It is established that the rule is valid only to first order and has second order errors. While in the context of QFT, the rule is replaced by the transition part of the S-matrix, which is not necessarily given only up to first order. However, it is argued that the error made by this replacement is of the same order as the second order errors in Fermi's golden rule, making the results equally reliable. It is also noted that using higher order versions of the golden rule can give better predictions, but in general, the final accuracy will be determined by the worst link in the approximation. Despite this,
tomdodd4598
TL;DR Summary
Why can the perturbation matrix element be replaced with the transition part of the S-matrix?
Hey there,

This question was asked elsewhere, but I wasn't really satisfied with the answer.

When I learned about Fermi's golden rule, ##{ \Gamma }_{ if }=2\pi { \left| \left< { f }|{ \delta V }|{ i } \right> \right| }^{ 2 }\rho \left( { E }_{ f } \right)##, it was derived from first order perturbation theory in the context of quantum mechanics.

In the context of QFT, the perturbation was replaced by the transition part ##\hat { T }## of the S-matrix, ##\hat { S } ≔\hat { I } +i\hat { T }##. However, ##\hat { T }## is not necessarily given only up to first order, so why can we just make this replacement in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Fermi's golden rule is valid only to first order, hence has second order errors. The error made by the replacement is of the same order, hence the result - though different numerically - is accurate to the same order. and therefore (without further analysis) about equally reliable.

A. Neumaier said:
The error made by the replacement is of the same order, hence the result - though different numerically - is accurate to the same order. and therefore (without further analysis) about equally reliable.
So is there not any good reason to expect that higher-order corrections to amplitudes will give us better predictions of decay rates and scattering cross-sections?

tomdodd4598 said:
So is there not any good reason to expect that higher-order corrections to amplitudes will give us better predictions of decay rates and scattering cross-sections?
You get better predictions if you also use a higher order version of Fermi's golden rule. In general, if you combine different approximations the final accuracy will be more or less that of the worst link.

Likes vanhees71 and tomdodd4598
A. Neumaier said:
You get better predictions if you also use a higher order version of Fermi's golden rule. In general, if you combine different approximations the final accuracy will be more or less that of the worst link.
So in practice, is that what we do? I've read various QFT textbooks which calculate higher order diagrams, but then don't mention using higher order forms of the golden rule.

I've come a bit full-circle after a while and am still confused on this. If "the final accuracy will be more or less that of the worst link", and we're only using the first-order Fermi golden rule, then how can any higher-order matrix amplitude be reliable?

1. What is Fermi's Golden Rule?

Fermi's Golden Rule is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the rate at which a quantum system transitions from one state to another. It is based on the probability amplitude of a transition, and is used to calculate the transition rate between two states.

2. How is Fermi's Golden Rule related to the S-matrix?

The S-matrix, or scattering matrix, is a mathematical tool used to describe the probability of a particle scattering off of a potential. Fermi's Golden Rule is used to calculate the elements of the S-matrix, which in turn can be used to determine the probabilities of different scattering events.

3. What is the physical significance of Fermi's Golden Rule?

Fermi's Golden Rule has important implications in many areas of physics, including atomic and nuclear physics, solid state physics, and particle physics. It helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems and predict their transitions between states.

4. How is Fermi's Golden Rule used in experimental physics?

In experimental physics, Fermi's Golden Rule is used to calculate the transition rates between different energy levels of a system. This information can then be compared to experimental data to validate theoretical models and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

5. What are the limitations of Fermi's Golden Rule?

Fermi's Golden Rule is based on certain assumptions, such as the system being in a stationary state and the potential being time-independent. These assumptions may not hold true in all cases, and thus the rule may not accurately describe the behavior of all quantum systems. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum effects such as tunneling, which can significantly impact transition rates.