Sal Khan Founder of Khan Academy

In summary: The internet has been changing rapidly, and it's difficult to start a new business in this day and age. I think people like Sal have great timing and are able to understand how mediums shift.
mathdad
I am confused. A man named Sal Khan founded the Khan Academy to help struggling students around the globe academically online. Sal had a job making over $100,000 a year and decided to quit his job to teach math online for free.

Question:

Is Sal a genius? Why is it that certain people in life are born with a gift beyond the rest to understand basic concepts to the most advanced material ever put together for the sake of knowledge? Sal Khan knows calculus 3, for example, as well as you and I can add 2 + 2 to get 4. What do you make of the Khan Academy and this gifted young man?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say he is a very smart guy who had great timing with his idea. In 2006 the internet was changing fast and those who could look forward to the standard of streaming high definition videos from almost any phone could set up a great company. For example, if you made a forum in the late 90's or early 2000's it was great timing for that as well. Now so, I would not recommend starting a new one to anyone. It's a struggling medium. I think successful people like this have great timing and understand how mediums shift.

What do you think? :)

Jameson said:
I would say he is a very smart guy who had great timing with his idea. In 2006 the internet was changing fast and those who could look forward to the standard of streaming high definition videos from almost any phone could set up a great company. For example, if you made a forum in the late 90's or early 2000's it was great timing for that as well. Now so, I would not recommend starting a new one to anyone. It's a struggling medium. I think successful people like this have great timing and understand how mediums shift.

What do you think? :)

I think Sal Khan is very intelligent. I agree that great timing is very important in terms of business. Khan took a big risk to quit his fabulous job making 100 grand a year to teach math for free online. It paid off when Bill Gates became a supporter of the Khan Academy.

1. Who is Sal Khan?

Sal Khan is the founder of Khan Academy, a non-profit organization that offers free online educational resources such as videos, practice exercises, and personalized learning tools. He is also a former hedge fund analyst with degrees from MIT and Harvard Business School.

2. What inspired Sal Khan to start Khan Academy?

Sal Khan started Khan Academy in 2006 as a way to help his cousin with her math homework. He saw the potential of using online videos to teach and decided to create a platform for free, accessible education for all.

3. How does Khan Academy ensure the quality of its educational materials?

Khan Academy has a team of experts, including teachers and subject matter experts, who review and approve all content before it is published. They also gather feedback from users to continuously improve the materials.

4. How does Khan Academy make money?

Khan Academy is a non-profit organization and does not make money. It is primarily funded through donations from individuals, foundations, and corporations. They also have partnerships with schools and organizations for additional funding.

5. Can anyone use Khan Academy?

Yes, anyone with an internet connection can access Khan Academy's resources for free. The platform is available in multiple languages and covers a wide range of subjects, from math and science to humanities and test prep.