Textbooks vs Khan Academy for Self Study and PreCalc CLEP

• Foundations
  • Thread starter Chandller
  • Start date
Chandller
Gold Member
Hi PF,
I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving. Quick question, as I've mentioned before, I am non-traditional college student who is right at just over College Algebra/beginning Trig level in Math. While I am out of university, to make enough money to return, I am wanting to CLEP PreCalculus, as well as, brush up on my PreCalculus/Foundational Mathematics.

My question is, would you suggest Khan Academy or a PreCalculus Textbook/s?
Book suggestions always appreciated. I have Cohen's Precalculus 3rd Ed, btw.

I appreciate the help,
Chan

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well, I might be oldfashioned, but I'd always prefer textbooks to Youtube videos. Also one should know that to learn math the worst you can do is just watching a movie; the second worst is to just read a book. The best and I think even mandatory is to get active yourself and solve a lot of problems, thinking over the proofs yourself.

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd, Chandller, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
Well, I might be oldfashioned, but I'd always prefer textbooks to Youtube videos. Also one should know that to learn math the worst you can do is just watching a movie; the second worst is to just read a book. The best and I think even mandatory is to get active yourself and solve a lot of problems, thinking over the proofs yourself.

Why not use every resource in your toolkit such as watching a video explaining how to do a problem? To compete in the world today, those that eschew technology will find it harder than ever to keep up.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've nothing against technology and I think the Khan videos on Youtube are pretty good, but it's an illusion to think you can learn math from watching a movie (or in the analogue world listening a math lecture) only.

Textbook as main literature and YouTube videos (and @etotheipi ) when you don't understand that either.

Eventually. Videos become rare the more vertical you move up in your studies. Its important to learn how to read a textbook/articles/research paper at some point. The sooner the better. You are are not limited solely to the textbook. Thats what great about technology...

The problem with Khan Academy is the problems they provide are too simple.

I really like Khan Academy. I failed most of my classes every year as a student and math was one of my worst subjects.i was eventually expelled. But Khan Academy kickstarted my math education as an adult, and I was able to get pretty good at algebra before moving on to university math.

That being said, it's usefulness drops off after algebra in my opinion. The problems are lacking, and it's interface is just weird for deep learning.

If you intend to complete a degree in just about any field, you will most likely have to get used to learning on your own, using whatever resources available but mostly your lectures and textbooks, as well as office hours with TAs or profs.

Likes CalcNerd and vanhees71