I've run it twice today. First electroylsis was done using 2 iron electrodes. I don't know if
solution was saturated, because I forgot to weigh water and took a guess. There was some salt
left undissolved, so I think it was saturated solution. I ran it for some time and I didn't
see chlorine. Hydrogen was there, I tested it.
I think conductivity of the solution increased. When I started electrodes were close
together, current measured at 9 amps with ampmeter in series. The ampmeter has some
resistance and its rated for 10amps so I couldn't have it connected all the time. After I
disconnected it I didn't have to move away the electrodes, without ampmeter it could be
something like 13 amps. PSU is rated for 23 amps, it shuts down if too much current is drawn.
But after some time I had to move electrodes away from each other. They had to be away as
much as they could be in a jar.
Do OH- ions conduct better than Cl- ?
There was some NaOH, I dropped aluminum foil and it was reacting.
In second one I used iron for cathode and copper for anode, so there was no mud. This time I
weighted water and I'm pretty sure the solution was saturated. Water around copper was
turning green. Is it because of copper or chlorine compoounds? Soultion became pale green.
After 90 seconds I saw bubbling at anode and a green gas was leaving the water.
I'm not sure, maybe I ran first electrolysis for shorter amount of time, I didn't measure time. I would run it for longer, but psu kept shutting down and the jar was pretty hot. But there was more NaOH in the first one - more reactive with aluminium.