1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sample Test question on Radioactivity

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The activity of carbon, due to the decay of C14, is 16 disintegrations per minute per gram of carbon. The atomic weight of naturally occurring carbon is 12 u. What is the ration of C14 to C12 in the CO2 of the atmosphere? The half life of C14 is 5730 years.

2. Relevant equations
    t(half life) = ln(2)/ lambda
    N = N(initial) e^ (-lambda * t)
    R = -dN/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just don't know how to attempt this problem without having a time frame. I don't expect the answer, but if there is an equation I missed that is helpful, or something I seem to not understand, I would greatly appreciate being told! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had to think about this one for a while. Hope this helps get you going:
    Okay, based on this information, how many disintegrations per minute are there in 1 mole of naturally occurring carbon?

Based on this information, how many disintegrations per minute are there in 1 mole of C14?

4. May 7, 2012 #3
    Ah, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook