1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite geometry physics problem

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A geosynchronous satellite is stationary over a point on the equator (zero degrees latitude) at the same longitude as Seattle, Washington. Seattle's latitude is 47.6°. If you want to communicate with the satellite, at what angle above the horizon must you point your communication device? The Earth's radius is 6.38×10^6 m. Hint: You will also need the law of sines and the law of cosines.

2. Relevant equations

Sin angleA/A=sin angleB/B
    radius of a geosynchronous satellite= 3.58e7 meters

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a triangle- a quick question would the angle at which the line tangent to the surface and the radius of the earth be a right angle?

I got
    I'm not sure how to solve for x here...and I don't think this equation is right...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    well I don't know if the equation is correct or not, but for finding x,

sin(90+x)=cos x ........This is an identity. You will need a scientific calculator to find cos inverse.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?