Satellite motion and Moment of Momentum

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving circular orbits and the use of equations such as moment of momentum and energy relations. The image provided shows the given problem and the discussion includes considering centripetal acceleration, the force of gravity, and solving part (d) of the problem first.
___

Homework Statement

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4638/001ofa.jpg

Homework Equations

Not too sure to be honest.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, r1 cross product m v1 = r2 cross m v2
But, there is a force applied so I have to take that into account.
I was thinking,
The moment of momentum after the thrust = Moment of momentum when it first enters the second orbit

r1 m v1 = r1 m v2

gives
v2/v1 = 7
But I am not being able to take that any further.

I'm trying to use energy relations but it gives me an equation in terms of GM (gravitational constant and mass of planet).

I have no idea where to begin. Maybe you guys could point me to the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pal, where's your question ?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4638/001ofa.jpg

Can the image not be seen? I've scanned the question and posted it there...
I got rid of it and now there's a link.

Hint: what is the equation of motion for a satellite in a circular orbit?

___ said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4638/001ofa.jpg

Homework Equations

Not too sure to be honest.

I was thinking,
The moment of momentum after the thrust = Moment of momentum when it first enters the second orbit

r1 m v1 = r1 m v2

gives
v2/v1 = 7

I'm trying to use energy relations but it gives me an equation in terms of GM (gravitational constant and mass of planet).

I have no idea where to begin. Maybe you guys could point me to the right direction?

Use the image feature to get your image to show.
The literal string of characters I used was:
[tex]\text{[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4638/001ofa.jpg }[/tex]

___ said:

I was thinking,

r1 m v1 = r1 m v2

gives
v2/v1 = 7

What is the centripetal acceleration in each of the circular orbits. How does the centripetal force supplied the planet's gravity compare for the two circular orbits.

Yes, using angular momentum (moment of momentum) may be helpful.

I think using energy relations is a very good idea. Yes, of course it will include GM. That should not be a problem.

You should be able to answer part (d) first. That may be the biggest help of all.

1. What is satellite motion and how is it different from other types of motion?

Satellite motion refers to the movement of an object around a larger, more massive object due to the effects of gravity. This type of motion is unique because it involves the interaction of two or more objects, rather than just one object moving through space.

2. How do satellites maintain their orbits?

Satellites maintain their orbits through a delicate balance of centripetal force, provided by the gravitational pull of the larger object, and the object's momentum, which keeps it moving in a straight line. This results in a circular or elliptical path around the larger object.

3. What is the significance of the moment of momentum in satellite motion?

The moment of momentum, also known as angular momentum, is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. In satellite motion, it plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability and accuracy of the satellite's orbit. If the moment of momentum is disrupted, the satellite's orbit may become unstable or deviate from its intended path.

4. How does the mass and velocity of a satellite affect its orbit?

The mass and velocity of a satellite have a direct impact on its orbit. A larger mass will require a greater centripetal force to maintain its orbit, while a higher velocity will result in a larger orbit. Changes in either of these factors can alter the shape and stability of a satellite's orbit.

5. What are some common uses for satellite motion and moment of momentum in scientific research?

Satellite motion and moment of momentum have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including studying the Earth's climate and weather patterns, mapping the surface of other planets, and monitoring changes in the Earth's magnetic field. They are also used in telecommunications, navigation, and military operations.