Satellite - resistance (retarding force)

In summary, the question is asking for the average resistance force acting on a 3000kg satellite during its flight at an altitude of 300km, assuming there is no air resistance at this altitude. The equation used to calculate air pressure at this altitude is p0 = 101325 * e^-35.58 Pa, and the question is unclear about whether the flight is circling the Earth for 30 years or simply a launch from sea level to 300km. Further clarification from the teacher is needed.
charlie05

Homework Statement

What is the average resistance force F acting on the satellite during its flight, m = 3000kg, h=300km.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If it is llow orbit, so it inhibits the resistance of the atmosphere. In 300 km is no air, so no resistance ...?

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation are you using to calculate air pressure at 300 km ?

upload_2017-3-20_13-0-21.png
?

p0 = 101 325 Pa
h= 300 000m
g=9,81 m/s2
ρ 0 = 1,225 kg/m3

p 300 000 = 101 325*e-35,58 Pa

https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7edaedb-95b2-438f-adfb-36de54f87b9e.pdf

Agree it isn't much. What is the question (the full problem statement) ?

Yes I agree. Therefore, I think that is a resistive force is zero.

BvU said:
What is the question (the full problem statement) ?
According to your terse problem statement they ask for the average reisistance during its flight.
If its flight is circling the Earth for 30 years it might be relevant to come up with a non-zero number.
But if its flight is a launch from sea level all the way up to 300 km I suppose you can ignore the pressure up there.

That's why I asked for the full problem statement

I understand. I have to ask my teacher. Yet I thank you for the effort and help.

1. What is satellite resistance or retarding force?

Satellite resistance, also known as retarding force, is a force that acts on a satellite in orbit, slowing it down and causing it to lose altitude over time. This force is primarily caused by atmospheric drag, but can also be influenced by other factors such as solar radiation pressure and gravitational effects from other celestial bodies.

2. How does satellite resistance affect the orbit of a satellite?

Satellite resistance causes a satellite's orbit to gradually decay and become more elliptical. This means that the satellite's altitude decreases and its speed decreases, resulting in a change in the shape and size of its orbit. If not corrected, satellite resistance can eventually cause a satellite to re-enter Earth's atmosphere and burn up.

3. Can satellite resistance be predicted and accounted for?

Yes, satellite resistance can be predicted and accounted for by using mathematical models and simulations. Scientists and engineers use data on atmospheric conditions, the satellite's orbit, and other factors to calculate the expected amount of resistance and make adjustments to the satellite's trajectory if necessary.

4. How do satellites counteract resistance?

Satellites can counteract resistance by using thrusters or other propulsion systems to maintain their desired orbit. They can also use drag-inducing devices such as solar sails or deployable aerodynamic surfaces to reduce their speed and counteract the effects of resistance. In some cases, satellites may also be designed with a higher mass or a more streamlined shape to reduce the effects of atmospheric drag.

5. How does satellite resistance affect the lifespan of a satellite?

Satellite resistance can significantly affect the lifespan of a satellite. The more resistance a satellite experiences, the faster its orbit will decay and the shorter its lifespan will be. This is why satellite operators must carefully monitor and account for resistance when designing and operating their satellites to ensure they have a sufficient lifespan to carry out their intended mission.