Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite Right Acension and Declination Calculations

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1

isi

Hi Everyone...

I really want to be able to calculate the RA/DEC of a Satellite from TLE data. For example, the International Space Station (ISS)

Can anyone help to point me in the direction of where to find the claculations I need to perform this conversion from TLE data to RA/DEC?

I would really appreciate any responses to help me solve this conversion calculation!

Many Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure how to do it, but would you rather just have the positions given to you? You can get alt-az positions from heavens-above.com

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3

isi

May thanks for the reply.. but no I wish to calculate it! :)
    heavens above is good and everything but it gives me no understanding :(
    Anyone able to help with the calculation from TLE data to RA/dEC?

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4
  6. Mar 7, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

isi,

You will first need to propagate the two or three line elements from the epoch time to the time in question. This is the hard part. Once you have accomplished that, the computation of right ascension and declination is fairly easy.

A paper from NORAD (link here) describes several algorithms of various fidelity that you can use to propagate the state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?