European data relay satellite system

In summary, the European Data Relay System (EDRS) utilizes a laser link between a low Earth orbit and a geosynchronous satellite, which then relays the data to a ground station on Earth via a radio link. This laser communication is 30 times faster than the radio waves used in the system. Despite potential disruption from space debris, the problem is overcome by the laser beam's ability to diverge and avoid obstacles. The system is designed for relatively low speed data, with the geosynchronous satellite serving multiple low Earth orbit satellites in short bursts at high data rates.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was watching the following video.

So, a low Earth orbit continuously transmits data to a geosynchronous satellite via a laser link. The geosynchronous satellite relays the data to a ground station on Earth via a radio link. In case of European Data Relay System (EDRS) laser communication is 30 times faster than the radio waves.

Note that low Earth orbit is normally at an altitude of less than 1000 km but could be as low as 160 km above Earth. Also, a geosynchronous satellite occupy the orbit at almost 36,000 km above earth.

Now the question is a chain is as strong as the weakest link. If the geosynchronous satellite is still using radio waves to transmit the data to a ground station, the radio link is still the bottleneck. For example, 1000 MB is being received by geosynchronous satellite every second via laser link but it can only 33 MB of data back to Earth via a radio link. Could you please help me to understand how it drastically increase the data speed? I understand that it's an improvement since continuous data transmission can take place to a ground station.

Also, there is a lot of space debris, doesn't it disrupt the functioning of EDRS because material obstacle is one of the major problems with laser communication? How this problem is overcome?

1633081660683.png

Source: https://earthhow.com/space-junk/
1633081726908.png
Helpful link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Data_Relay_System

Engineering news on Phys.org
Debris is probably the least important factor here - these are small pieces, traveling very fast and in a waste volume, they block LOS very rarely and for several microseconds at most (think 10 cm object traveling at 10 km/s).

And: the energy in the laser beam has diverged sufficiently to go around the majority of those obstacles before entering the optical aperture of the receiver.

PS
I would expect a minimum divergence of about 1 in a million.
At 1000 km the beam would be at least 1 metre diameter.

Last edited:
PainterGuy said:
Hi,

I was watching the following video.

So, a low Earth orbit continuously transmits data to a geosynchronous satellite via a laser link. The geosynchronous satellite relays the data to a ground station on Earth via a radio link. In case of European Data Relay System (EDRS) laser communication is 30 times faster than the radio waves.

Note that low Earth orbit is normally at an altitude of less than 1000 km but could be as low as 160 km above Earth. Also, a geosynchronous satellite occupy the orbit at almost 36,000 km above earth.

Now the question is a chain is as strong as the weakest link. If the geosynchronous satellite is still using radio waves to transmit the data to a ground station, the radio link is still the bottleneck. For example, 1000 MB is being received by geosynchronous satellite every second via laser link but it can only 33 MB of data back to Earth via a radio link. Could you please help me to understand how it drastically increase the data speed? I understand that it's an improvement since continuous data transmission can take place to a ground station.

Also, there is a lot of space debris, doesn't it disrupt the functioning of EDRS because material obstacle is one of the major problems with laser communication? How this problem is overcome?

View attachment 290009
Source: https://earthhow.com/space-junk/View attachment 290010Helpful link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Data_Relay_System

It looks as if the system is untended for relatively low speed data, not Internet to every home. You say the microwave link to/from the LEO operates at 33Mbit/s (presumably not Mbytes/sec). So why have a very fast laser link to the Geostationary satellite?

Here are a few reasons. First of all it avoids the radio licensing issue, as microwave spectrum to the geosynchronous orbit is already used up. This means that the satellites can be positioned anywhere without consideration of radio interference/co-existence. Second, the laser does not require a very big dish and a lot of transmitter power onboard the Leo. This is because at microwave frequencies the geo satellite is looking at a hot earth, so the uplink needs lots of ERP to be heard. Thirdly, the geo satellite will presumably operate to many Leos. so we might imagine the data from each being sent in very short high speed bursts.

tech99 said:
You say the microwave link to/from the LEO operates at 33Mbit/s (presumably not Mbytes/sec). So why have a very fast laser link to the Geostationary satellite?

I should have been more clear about it. I just made up those numbers.

tech99 said:
So why have a very fast laser link to the Geostationary satellite?
It could be that the GS satellite is serving a lot of LEO satellites and they are using a common frequency. Hence they would be time multiplexed. That's a standard approach in many comms systems.
Edit: I re-read this and I am having second thoughts. I think it could be just that the LEO-GSO link to each satellite can be in short bursts at high data rate and the GSO station can arrange the data from all of them and perhaps prioritise the data. There is also the fact that each optical link is via the same laser and there will be dead time whilst the laser moves and settles its beam from source to source.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the European Data Relay Satellite System?

The European Data Relay Satellite System (EDRS) is a network of satellites designed to provide high-speed and secure data relay services for Earth observation, navigation, and telecommunications satellites. It enables the transfer of large amounts of data from satellites in low-Earth orbit to ground stations in real-time, improving the efficiency and effectiveness of satellite operations.

2. How does the European Data Relay Satellite System work?

The EDRS system consists of two geostationary satellites, EDRS-A and EDRS-C, and two low-Earth orbit satellites, EDRS-B and EDRS-D. The low-Earth orbit satellites receive data from other satellites and transmit it to the geostationary satellites, which then relay the data to ground stations. This allows for continuous and uninterrupted data transfer, even when the low-Earth orbit satellites are out of range of ground stations.

3. What are the benefits of the European Data Relay Satellite System?

The EDRS system offers several benefits, including faster and more reliable data transmission, increased data security, and improved satellite coverage and data availability. It also reduces the need for ground stations and ground infrastructure, making satellite operations more cost-effective.

4. Which countries are involved in the European Data Relay Satellite System?

The EDRS system is a joint project of the European Space Agency (ESA) and the European Commission, with contributions from several European countries, including Germany, Italy, Spain, and Belgium. It also has partnerships with international organizations, such as NASA and the Canadian Space Agency.

5. What are the future plans for the European Data Relay Satellite System?

The EDRS system is constantly evolving, with plans for future expansion and upgrades. This includes the launch of additional satellites, such as EDRS-D in 2020, and the development of new technologies to improve data transmission and processing capabilities. The EDRS system is also expected to play a key role in supporting future space exploration missions, such as the European Space Agency's Moon Village project.