Scalar Field Dynamics in Inflation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with wanting to include ##\phi## dynamics in a cubic potential, ##g\phi^{3}##. The resulting equation of motion, derived from the Euler-Lagrange equations in cosmology, is shown and discussed in Carol's Spacetime Geometry, inflation chapter. The conversation also mentions trying to plot the phase portrait of the equation for specific values of ##m## and ##g##, but encountering errors and no solutions. The use of Python is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with questions about a potential solution to the problem and the interpretation of the phase portrait.
AHSAN MUJTABA
TL;DR Summary
We know how inflation ends classically in a usual quadratic scalar potential case; ##1/2m^{2}\phi^{2}##., i.e. ##\phi ## starts oscillating towards ##0## magnitude.
I am facing a problem while wanting ##\phi## dynamics in a cubic potential; ##g\phi^{3}##. The equation of motion I get for my case is(this follows from the usual Euler-Lagrange equations for ##\phi## in cosmology--Briefly discussed in Carol's Spacetime Geometry, inflation chapter):,
$$\ddot{\phi}+3\sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\Bigg(\frac{1}{2}\dot{\phi}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}+g\phi^{3} \Bigg)}\dot{\phi}+\Bigg(m^{2}\phi+3g\phi^{2}\Bigg)=0$$
Take ##G=1##. I tried to plot their phase portrait, but I got errors when plotting the equation's actual solutions for ##m=0.5## and ##g=5##. depicting no solutions. I am using Python. Does that mean for cubic potentials(non-symmetric), inflation might happen at some special initial conditions? I am also attaching phase portraits of cubic and quadratic cases. In phase portrait, the attractor represents the equilibrium position of ##\phi## meaning inflation has ended. If I add a cubic term to potential, then there must be two attractors. What do they represent? I am a bit confused.

Attachments

• CLASSICALPHASEPLOTQUAD1.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

First of all, it is important to note that the equation of motion you have written is not specific to inflation. It is a general equation of motion for a scalar field in a cubic potential, and can be used in various contexts in cosmology, not just for inflation.

Regarding your specific problem, it is possible that there are some issues with the implementation of your code in Python, which is causing the errors in plotting the solutions. I would recommend double checking your code and making sure that it is correctly implementing the equation of motion.

In terms of the phase portrait, it is true that adding a cubic term to the potential will result in two attractors, as opposed to one in the case of a quadratic potential. These two attractors represent the two possible equilibrium positions for the scalar field. In the case of inflation, the attractor at a higher value of the field corresponds to the inflationary phase, while the attractor at a lower value of the field corresponds to the end of inflation.

It is possible that for certain initial conditions, the scalar field will settle at the lower attractor, indicating the end of inflation. This could happen even with a cubic potential, as long as the initial conditions are such that the field does not roll up to the higher attractor.

Overall, it is important to keep in mind that the dynamics of a scalar field in a potential is a highly non-linear system, and it is not always easy to predict the behavior of the field without numerical simulations. It is possible that for certain initial conditions and parameters, the behavior of the field may not be intuitive, and it is important to carefully analyze the solutions and phase portrait to understand the dynamics.

1. What is a scalar field in the context of inflation?

A scalar field is a fundamental concept in physics that describes a type of field that has a single numerical value, or "scalar," at each point in space. In the context of inflation, the scalar field is responsible for driving the rapid expansion of the early universe.

2. How does the scalar field contribute to the inflationary period?

The scalar field is thought to have a potential energy associated with it, similar to a ball on top of a hill. During inflation, this potential energy causes the scalar field to roll down the hill, resulting in a rapid expansion of space-time.

3. What is the role of the scalar field in generating the density fluctuations observed in the cosmic microwave background?

The scalar field is responsible for generating quantum fluctuations during inflation, which are stretched to large scales during the rapid expansion. These fluctuations in the scalar field then translate into density fluctuations in the early universe, which can be observed in the cosmic microwave background.

4. Can the scalar field explain the flatness and horizon problems in cosmology?

Yes, the scalar field plays a crucial role in solving the flatness and horizon problems in cosmology. The rapid expansion of space during inflation smooths out the curvature of space-time, explaining why the universe appears flat on large scales. It also allows distant regions of the universe to come into contact, solving the horizon problem.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain inflation besides the scalar field model?

Yes, there are alternative theories that attempt to explain inflation without relying on a scalar field. These include theories involving higher dimensions, modified gravity, and topological defects. However, the scalar field model remains the most widely accepted and well-supported explanation for inflation.